I am getting the feeling I broke something

df1064

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I was installing an new set of ram (stats below) and ran into some difficulties. At first I installed the OCZ ram and let the motherboard determine the timings (it reads them wrong 5-5-5-18 but I figured it was a good starting point). It booted a few times but when ever I tried to adjust the timing I would get nothing (as in not even the bios). This would be persistent till I removed the ram set the timing to auto and began again. Lots of trial and error later I have reached a new and unpleasant condition. I can get the computer to boot with either set of ram (in auto timing or in altered timing) when they are in slots 3&4 but nothing will work in slots 1&2 regardless of what is in the other slots. The question is did I at some point destroy slots 1&2 or is there something else going on (I hope so). Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
Gigabyte 570 SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200
GeForce 7600GT
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 4-4-4-12 2.2V (old)
OCZ 2 x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 4-4-4-15 1.9-2.1V (new)
Vista Ultimate 64

df1064

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. I reset the cmos and tried with several configurations of the old and new ram. Eventually I took the MoBo out and seated the ram in with a little more force. This worked (the board appears to be a little warped) but then more fun begins. The bios recognizes all of the memory and memtest passes (I ran it all night and no errors). Windows however gives me a BSoD part way though startup. Sometimes but not every time it says IRQL LESS THAN OR EQUAL. I would just assume this is a memory problem but for the memtest results. Any help would be great.
Thanks

df1064

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I currently have vista installed. When I tried the startup repair utility it sat for a few min and told me that it was unable to repair the error. The details were not very useful in determining what was actually wrong either.

df1064

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
If only I had the time... I plan on taking the additional 2GB out and deal with this later. Thanks for the help anyways