[SOLVED] I Am Going Insane - MSI MPG X570 + Ryzen 3900x

Feb 5, 2020
Hi All,

I've been a long time lurker here and I really like the site / community but I've finally hit a wall, and a breaking point. I'd really appreciate the help.

Two fun facts before I dive in; I haven't bought an AMD in a decade, and this is the first time I've wanted to put my head through a wall trying to build a pc (I've built over a dozen).

Per the title, I recently picked up those two. I used PC Parts Picker as well to make sure I didn't get anything that was incompatible to go with them. I got RAM, a power supply, and a new Corsair case.

Bottom line; I don't even know if you can say it "won't post" in my situation. For example, sometimes when I boot up, there's nothing for upwards of 30 seconds, then the Edge splash screen that's apparently locked. Keyboard is "on" but no keys actually work. Other times, it'll tell me my windows version needs repair. Other times, it'll tell me my config has changed and to hit F1 to change settings, which I can't do, because my keyboard is also locked.

Although, not always. Sometimes my keyboard works (I've tried three keyboards now, wired) and I can get into the bios. Nothing is glaring other than my RAM running at considerably lower speeds.

The power comes on, the error lights are somewhat random and vary. The RGB and fan spins. No beeps or anything consistent. Every time I boot up it's a new problem or a weird variant of an existing one. Roll the dice.

I've tried:

• Every conceivable RAM config
  • Different RAM (I have 3 different kinds to try)
  • Checking every single physical connection multiple times
  • Rebuilding the computer from nearly scratch
  • Pulling and installing all extra pieces into my old PC (i7 7700) and everything works fine
  • Using the 8 pin + 4 pin or just the 8 pin. 24 pin always connected.
  • Checking all power buttons, LEDs, etc. Jumpers are in the right place. Everything is good.
  • Trying only one SSD, multiple, etc
  • Replacing my 2060 with my old 1060 - no change
  • Rebuilding my old system. All good.
  • Checking for grounding issues
  • Reading every conceivable related thread on here and reddit
  • Watching a dozen YT vids
  • Checked all pins on the CPU
  • Punching things

I'm seriously done, unless someone can save me. I've literally never had this issue with any computer I've built and I'm genuinely pissed off - I'll likely RMA all of this, bite the price bullet and build an intel PC. I'm not trying to start a debate between the two, I just mean AMD and MSI are not my besties right now. I feel like I'm working with actual trash.

Either the mobo is broken or I'm missing something obvious, but in fairness the more research I've done on the x570 line the more I run into people that complain. I don't know. I'm just frustrated. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
... I've tried:
  • Pulling and installing all extra pieces into my old PC (i7 7700) and everything works fine.
Everything but motherboard and CPU...
Seems most likely to be a problem within the CPU. An unstable I/O-chip would be able to conjure up these "tricks"!
Then it's of course possible that the instability is caused by flawed voltage regulation from the motherboard.
Feb 5, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard: MSI MPG x570
Ram: G.Skill 32G 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 SSD (and multiples that are not hooked up)
GPU: Gigabyte 2060
PSU: Corsair 850x
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian (full tower)

Feb 5, 2020
Hi Drivin,

I am actually. I didn't think that'd be a problem. For Christmas, I upgraded my wife's i5 intel box to a Ryzen 7 and it was all good. Worked on first boot. Do you think that's causing the weird post time and inability to get in the Bios (sometimes)? I'm lost.

To clarify, I used her existing SSD with windows on it and there were no issues; definitely not the repair stuff.

Hi Drivin,

I am actually. I didn't think that'd be a problem. For Christmas, I upgraded my wife's i5 intel box to a Ryzen 7 and it was all good. Worked on first boot. Do you think that's causing the weird post time and inability to get in the Bios (sometimes)? I'm lost.

To clarify, I used her existing SSD with windows on it and there were no issues; definitely not the repair stuff.
You really should always do a full reinstall of Windows after such a hardware change. Especially going from one CPU manufacturer to another.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... I've tried:
  • Pulling and installing all extra pieces into my old PC (i7 7700) and everything works fine.
Seems most likely to be a problem within the CPU. An unstable I/O-chip would be able to conjure up these "tricks"!
Then it's of course possible that the instability is caused by flawed voltage regulation from the motherboard.

Solution
Feb 5, 2020

Thanks for the feedback, Olle. I am actually building my old system today and most likely RMAing the mobo and cpu. I believe you're right, although in my experience (I could be completely wrong) the CPU is less likely to be an issue than the mobo. I might go pick up a different mobo and just see what happens. The whole returning of these parts is not going to be much more fun than all the "fun" I've already had trying to get them to work.