Question I am going to RMA it, but I would like to know your opinion

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
Hello!!!!!

I had this EVGA T2 1000W PSU for 3 years. It works fine, but two months ago started to make this fantastic noise:

I am in a RMA process, but the PSU, for this 2/3 months worked perfect. I had to use it for my job.

It is not the fan. I specifically bought the 1000 watt to be below 500 watts in my system, so the fan does not turn on. The sound is always there at 50 watts doing nothing or playing at 4K with 500 watt peaks

Since the EVGA staff didn't even bother to watch the video (no views by the day i opened the RMA), I ask you your opinion.
Is it dangerous? or nothing to be too worried, just a coil doing his things

As I said, I want opinions, it is already out of my main PC.
Thanks.

Edit:
I uploaded another video where I show the fan not spinning and the GPU disconnected from the PSU:

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My hearing is pretty cruddy. All I actually hear is loud fan noise, which would lead me to ask have you cleaned the filter for it's intake (thinking it's facing bottom mount in the case) or blown the dust out?

Is there some high pitched whine I am not hearing?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Not claiming to have bat hearing, but to me all i'm hearing is a fairly unhappy PSU fan bearing. I would have it replaced within warranty, but but it shouldn't pose immediate danger to your system.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
My hearing is pretty cruddy. All I actually hear is loud fan noise, which would lead me to ask have you cleaned the filter for it's intake (thinking it's facing bottom mount in the case) or blown the dust out?

Is there some high pitched whine I am not hearing?
It is pretty clean. Fan doesn't even turn on because Eco Mode

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
Not claiming to have bat hearing, but to me all i'm hearing is a fairly unhappy PSU fan bearing. I would have it replaced within warranty, but but it shouldn't pose immediate danger to your system.
In this case it is pretty difficult to be the fan. I specifically bought the 1000 watt to be below 500 watts in my system, so the fan does not turn on. The sound is always there at 50watts doing nothing or playing at 4K. I am going to edit the post clarifying i cant be the fan. Thanks

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, if the fan isn't turning on the PSU there really isn't anything else it could make as far as noise aside from (maybe) coil whine? I have never heard anything but a GPU make that noise.

Have you eliminated every other fan and moving part in the system as suspect?
I don't think it's your PSU.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
So, if the fan isn't turning on the PSU there really isn't anything else it could make as far as noise aside from (maybe) coil whine? I have never heard anything but a GPU make that noise.

Have you eliminated every other fan and moving part in the system as suspect?
I don't think it's your PSU.

Yep, I isolated the noise and 100% is the PSU.
I stopped every fan, removed the GPU, even disconnected the water pump. Still there.
Now it is running with an old PSU without noise problems.

Strange, isn't it?

What I really hope is that the cause is not a BIOS setting or an "incompatible" periferical..

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yep, I isolated the noise and 100% is the PSU.
I stopped every fan, removed the GPU, even disconnected the water pump. Still there.
Now it is running with an old PSU without noise problems.

Strange, isn't it?

What I really hope is that the cause is not a BIOS setting or an "incompatible" periferical..

If you already have the RMA number and given the age of the unit I would go ahead and return it anyway. Whatever you get back should have the official seal of approval on it and go from there.