Question I am having a really bad ping and dont know what is causing it

Jun 11, 2019
I got a "Gaming PC" around January and was playing all of the usual games like Left4Dead 2 and Rainbow Six without any problems. Recently I have been having my ping go up to around 500 at all times when i go to play online. I haven't been able to play which defeats the purpose of what i bought it for. What can i do do fix the problem or find out what is causing the problem. There is nothing else running except for discord while i am trying to play. There are only two devices on the WiFi usually which is usually just computers. It is wired connection, AT&T, and im getting 39 Ping on the test by Ookla with 11.5 Mbps download and 0.8 Mbps upload.
The Pc is a HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-027c
Intel Core i7-7700 processor
AMd Radeon RX 550 Graphics
16 GB Ram
1 TB SATA hard drive
Windows 10

Last edited:

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
could you provide a little more info about your intetrnet, which one it is? cable, wifi, cellular etc.? and try speedtesting your pc's internet in speedtester like ookla?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Wired or wireless connections? If wired, have you tried another known working Ethernet cable?

If wireless, have you tried the other frequency? And, in both cases, other channels?

What other devices are on your network?

ISP, modem, router?

Router's logs may be capturing some problem if logs are available and enabled.

Who has full admin rights to the network router.

On your Gaming PC use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what is happening; first while not gaming and then while gaming.