[SOLVED] I am having an issue where my AMD R5 1600 where it is stable for 1 Hr max at stock settings while under full load using lower than XMP memory speeds.

Feb 5, 2020
Hi! I am having an issue where my AMD R5 1600 on a MSI B450M motar motherboard is stable for 1 Hr max at stock settings while under full load using lower than XMP memory speeds 2133Mhz to be exact. The max temperature is about 50C as reported by Ryzen master and CPUID's Hardware Monitor. So I think it is definitely not thermally limited. While using XMP setings at 3200Mhz the system isn't even stable for over 15 minutes under full load. I tested the memory with Memtest 86 both in 2133 and 3200 speeds and it showed no errors. The CPU is recently bought along with the RAM and Motherboard. I did an RMA for the motherboard after talking to MSI about this issue but still it didn't fixed the issue.

I am not the only one having this issue as I have asked this question on the AMD's community forums and a guy responded with the same issue but with different Motherboard and RAM, this leads me to believe that the Memory controller on the CPU might be at fault here, but I am to under qualified to particularly pinpoint the issue.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this issue and help me troubleshoot the problem

Solution
many 1st gen Ryzens won't play nice with XMP @3200.
most will run @2933Mhz. MSI has a "try it" mode where you can experiment with selected timings.

You didn't mention the memory make and model so it's hard to gauge.

Hi! I am having an issue where my AMD R5 1600 on a MSI B450M motar motherboard is stable for 1 Hr max at stock settings while under full load using lower than XMP memory speeds 2133Mhz to be exact. The max temperature is about 50C as reported by Ryzen master and CPUID's Hardware Monitor. So I think it is definitely not thermally limited. While using XMP setings at 3200Mhz the system isn't even stable for over 15 minutes under full load. I tested the memory with Memtest 86 both in 2133 and 3200 speeds and it showed no...
many 1st gen Ryzens won't play nice with XMP @3200.
most will run @2933Mhz. MSI has a "try it" mode where you can experiment with selected timings.

You didn't mention the memory make and model so it's hard to gauge.

Hi! I am having an issue where my AMD R5 1600 on a MSI B450M motar motherboard is stable for 1 Hr max at stock settings while under full load using lower than XMP memory speeds 2133Mhz to be exact. The max temperature is about 50C as reported by Ryzen master and CPUID's Hardware Monitor. So I think it is definitely not thermally limited. While using XMP setings at 3200Mhz the system isn't even stable for over 15 minutes under full load. I tested the memory with Memtest 86 both in 2133 and 3200 speeds and it showed no errors. The CPU is recently bought along with the RAM and Motherboard. I did an RMA for the motherboard after talking to MSI about this issue but still it didn't fixed the issue.

I am not the only one having this issue as I have asked this question on the AMD's community forums and a guy responded with the same issue but with different Motherboard and RAM, this leads me to believe that the Memory controller on the CPU might be at fault here, but I am to under qualified to particularly pinpoint the issue.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this issue and help me troubleshoot the problem

Solution
Feb 5, 2020
Thanks for the replies! I have changed the Speed and timings of my memory kit, now it is working fine! Anyways really appreciative for all the help.