Question I am having some weird issues in certain games. Any possible suggestion on issues? Thanks for any constructive input on the matter.

Darkness_Knouva

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
I bought the MSI 3070 Gaming Trio and tend to be having small graphical hiccups. Randomly, pixels would stretch on textures that cause an eye sore.

From the games I play, it tends to happen on Mass Effect LE, Elden Ring and Nioh 2. If it happens on an equipped item, I could unequip it and it would go away. Also, reloading the save tends to fix the issues, until it randomly pops up again.

I have sent the card in with MSI two times, and when I got it back the first time, there were graphical artifacts that would crash the whole system. I got it back a couple of weeks ago and everything is back to square one.

MSI suggests I get a new power supply (the one I have is and EVGA 850W bronze) and once again request to send it in for repair. I am under warranty until 2023.

I have done all of the basics, update drivers, reinstall clean drivers, used benchmarks to check GPU temps under stress (never got above 70 degrees, and I don't overclock.)

Here are a couple of pictures from mass effect LE:

EAMwjmj.jpg

Yeah that definitely looks like a graphical artifact. I find more often than not they are caused by bad driver installs or a game having a glitch that needs updating. I played ME LE all the way through on my GTX 1080 and got no artifacts though, so it's unlikely to be a glitch in the game, especially since it's happening with other games.

Which brings me to ask, when you did your clean driver install, did you uninstall first with DDU in Safe Mode? This can often solve problems with a prior GPU's identity remaining on your system after purchasing and installing a new GPU, because it removes ALL Nvidia GPU driver software, even the ID of a former GPU.

PCGamingWiki lists a problem with Visual glitches in ME LE at ultrawide 32:9 resolutions, but since it's happening with the other games, I have to think it's more likely the driver install. If you are by chance running it in ultrawide 32:9 though, they say disabling antialiasing fixes it. If so, you may or may not be able to enable AA in the Nvidia Control Panel with no such problems.

At any rate you should list your full system spec and OS, as well as any 3rd party background software you're running. You should also look in Event Viewer just after this happens to see if any error reports are being generated about it. Lastly, are you saying the artifacts only showed up AFTER you got the GPU back from MSI?

This is the bit that's confusing to me...

"...when I got it back the first time, there were graphical artifacts that would crash the whole system. I got it back a couple of weeks ago and everything is back to square one. "

...it sounds like the artifacts didn't happen until you got the card back the first time, and when you say everything's back to square one now, you don't say what that means. In other words, are the artifacts still lingering? If so that is NOT square one if they weren't showing until AFTER you got the card back the first time. This is why when making such a post you need to make it clear exactly what the problem was before first sending it in, and what the current problem is.

Last edited:

Darkness_Knouva

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
"...when I got it back the first time, there were graphical artifacts that would crash the whole system. I got it back a couple of weeks ago and everything is back to square one. "

What was meant by this statement was I had the problem shown in the picture when I first sent the card to MSI for repairs. I got the card back, put it in my machine and started Elden Ring to have the snowy screen artifacts that caused the system to crash. I sent the card back and just got it again like 2 weeks ago. and have noticed the artifact that happened in the picture all over again; which is why I said back to square one. Sorry, I should have said it was a different type of artifact upon getting the GPU back.

After reading your reply, I did the complete removal of the driver in safe mode using DDU then used NVCleanstall to do a clean install of the latest driver, restarted it and loaded up ME3 to the same problem again.

Here is my entire system:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT
Cooler: SCYTHE Mugen 5 air cooler (used to have an MSI AIO)
Motherboard: B550 MSI MAG Tomahawk
RAM: 32 GB 3200 GSkill Royal 2x16 configuration
GPU: MSI 3070 Gaming Trio
Disk Drives: 2 TB ADATA Swordfish M.2 (one on Motherboard, one in a PCI slot.
PSU: EVGA 850 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 850W (I do have access to an 80+ 850GB gold EVGA)

I usually don't run programs when I am running a game outside of any that start up with the launcher. Origin and Steam kicks in upon startup of ME LE, and I run ME3 Tweaker for a few mods I have for the trilogy. Sometimes, I use WeMod to mess around with cheats on occasion (I have beaten Mass Effect on PS3 so just figured I would goof around a bit.) I use

Also, while I was waiting for the GPU to come back, I put in an ASUS ROG 1080 that I used for a previous system and had none of the issues at hand.

MSI seems to think that the issue could be on the PSU and the card's ability to draw power, but I don't see a direct link between the two.

Well I once bought a GTX 660 Ti that was an MSI GPU. I had black screen on my Panasonic TV every time I switched from PC to TV inputs. MSI was miserable to deal with. I literally had to explain the scenario every time I called them because they didn't log it and give me a support ticket number. I ended up returning it and the AMD 7970 I bought had no such problems. I suspect it was due to the way they did the power circuit on the 660 Ti, since it used a non reference circuit board to make it (not Nvidia's). It may have made it incompatible with my TV somehow, which at the time, was not a commonly used PC gaming display.

After I returned it and got a full refund from Newegg, I posted a comment on the product page, stating exactly why I returned it. I only said it was causing my TV to black screen when switching inputs, no speculation, nothing about MSI's service. They posted saying my PC must be messed up. They never once even offered to RMA it for me and look at it, so they were purely (and wrongly) speculating it was my system at fault.

What I'm saying is when they start placing blame on your PC without knowing for sure the part they claim is bad is faulty, it's a bit suspect. If I were you, I would consider getting a full refund and buying an EVGA GPU. Since owning one myself I am convinced they are the best brand in both product and service. especially since they only make Nvidia based graphics cards.

BTW, I would not recommend AMD GPUs either, the 7970 was OK for a couple years, then a fan went out and the driver support started getting bad. I was lucky to even find a new dual fan/pigtail assembly on eBay for $12, but it wasn't easy to install. In my experience Nvidia GPUs tend to have more reliable hardware and longer driver support.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, make sure you try uninstalling any 3rd party stuff like mods, mod installers, and mod managers, or at least don't have any of them running when you play. This will eliminate them being a possible cause of the problem. Same with ME3 Tweaker and I would also try disabling the overlay for both Origin and Steam. As I said, this kind of thing is more often software related.

Last edited:

Darkness_Knouva

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
I did finally find out what was happening. Apparently, My GPU does not like any sort of overclock, including ones recommended by After Burner and Asus Tweak 3. Can't even run it in one of those programs OC modes. If I keep it all in default, it is fine now.

Still questioning if I should consider returning it, but it sucks that it has come to that. I doubt I will be able to get a return on it anyway.

I did finally find out what was happening. Apparently, My GPU does not like any sort of overclock, including ones recommended by After Burner and Asus Tweak 3. Can't even run it in one of those programs OC modes. If I keep it all in default, it is fine now.

Still questioning if I should consider returning it, but it sucks that it has come to that. I doubt I will be able to get a return on it anyway.
Yeah GPU (and CPU) OCing can be hit and miss from one chip to another. Then you add the fact that even with a stable OC, so much as one poorly coded game released (which is common these days) can cause you to have to OC all over again, and it's just not worth it.

This is why I don't bother with OCs anymore. Not enough gain for the hassle, even when it works well.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I bought the MSI 3070 Gaming Trio and tend to be having small graphical hiccups. Randomly, pixels would stretch on textures that cause an eye sore.

From the games I play, it tends to happen on Mass Effect LE, Elden Ring and Nioh 2. If it happens on an equipped item, I could unequip it and it would go away. Also, reloading the save tends to fix the issues, until it randomly pops up again.

I have sent the card in with MSI two times, and when I got it back the first time, there were graphical artifacts that would crash the whole system. I got it back a couple of weeks ago and everything is back to square one.

MSI suggests I get a new power supply (the one I have is and EVGA 850W bronze) and once again request to send it in for repair. I am under warranty until 2023.

I have done all of the basics, update drivers, reinstall clean drivers, used benchmarks to check GPU temps under stress (never got above 70 degrees, and I don't overclock.)

Here are a couple of pictures from mass effect LE:

EAMwjmj.jpg

What was meant by this statement was I had the problem shown in the picture when I first sent the card to MSI for repairs. I got the card back, put it in my machine and started Elden Ring to have the snowy screen artifacts that caused the system to crash. I sent the card back and just got it again like 2 weeks ago. and have noticed the artifact that happened in the picture all over again; which is why I said back to square one. Sorry, I should have said it was a different type of artifact upon getting the GPU back.

After reading your reply, I did the complete removal of the driver in safe mode using DDU then used NVCleanstall to do a clean install of the latest driver, restarted it and loaded up ME3 to the same problem again.

Here is my entire system:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT
Cooler: SCYTHE Mugen 5 air cooler (used to have an MSI AIO)
Motherboard: B550 MSI MAG Tomahawk
RAM: 32 GB 3200 GSkill Royal 2x16 configuration
GPU: MSI 3070 Gaming Trio
Disk Drives: 2 TB ADATA Swordfish M.2 (one on Motherboard, one in a PCI slot.
PSU: EVGA 850 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 850W (I do have access to an 80+ 850GB gold EVGA)

I usually don't run programs when I am running a game outside of any that start up with the launcher. Origin and Steam kicks in upon startup of ME LE, and I run ME3 Tweaker for a few mods I have for the trilogy. Sometimes, I use WeMod to mess around with cheats on occasion (I have beaten Mass Effect on PS3 so just figured I would goof around a bit.) I use

Also, while I was waiting for the GPU to come back, I put in an ASUS ROG 1080 that I used for a previous system and had none of the issues at hand.

MSI seems to think that the issue could be on the PSU and the card's ability to draw power, but I don't see a direct link between the two.

I'd say about your constructive input about your issue with your pc, could be an over burdened gpu oc'ing your pc might have had on a incapable psu.

If I where you I'd get another PSU and go from there.

I could say that I had a gpu that did such artifacts at some point and when the pc it was used in had a psu upgrade far greater than what is recommended since then none such artifacts are ever seen on that pc.