Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2021
I have built roughly a dozen PCs over the last few years, but this is only the 2nd AMD PC, and I do not have any spare AMD Processors/Motherboards that I can test out those parts with.

I assembled the PC, and double checked all connections. I have not plugged in case fans or RGB yet because the system has not successfully booted. Components list will be below.

My observations so far:
When I press the power button the machine comes on, CPU fan comes on, lights light up, and the Motherboard has EZ Debug LED lights that come on, each one lighting up for a few seconds in this order: CPU, VGA, BOOT. This is a known working GPU that I pulled out of another working PC, and retested in that PC, but the VGA light is still lighting up. This leads me to believe that there may be an issue with this motherboard. I have no way of testing the CPU, and the Debug Light is not coming on for the RAM. The BOOT LED is also lighting up, even when I use a flash drive with the windows installation software, which leads me to believe that there is likely not a problem with the brand new SSD that we have not yet been able to install windows on. The PC will not POST at all currently, so I cannot get into the BIOS to diagnose anything that way. The lights on the components are coming on, but if there is an issue with power delivery, that could explain why the known working PSU is causing the VGA light to come on (no other VGA Devices are connected).
When I opened the motherboard box which was "New" from Amazon, there was a sticky spot on the bottom right hand corner of the motherboard, some smudges on the metal, and some sort of fur stuck to it. I don't believe that this was actually a new motherboard. My friend said that she wanted me to go ahead and build with it anyway, and if it didn't work we could just return it.

Components List:
Ryzen 5600X
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi Motherboard
Radeon RX580
Crucial Ballistix Gaming Memory DDR4-3200 2x8GB
WD Blue 500GB SSD
Corsair RM650 Gold+
Coolermaster 212 Evo Black CPU Cooler
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50

I will switch components into another (working) PC to verify that everything else works. I believe the issue most likely lies in the Motherboard, possibly the CPU or PSU. Will post updates when I verify that the other parts are all working.

If you have any ideas, or can confirm/deny my suspicions please reply and let me know.

Solution
But would this also cause the motherboard to flash the VGA and BOOT LED, with a known working GPU and Windows Installation/Recovery drive?
It does flash the CPU LED so either way you have to fix that, I don't know if the mobo can check on the GPU or the boot drive without having access to a working CPU.
Aug 11, 2021
According to the MSI site the mobo needs the 1.4 version of bios to run the 5600x while the lowest is 1.10 ,so there is the distinct possibility that your mobo has an older bios and won't run your CPU until it's updated.
But would this also cause the motherboard to flash the VGA and BOOT LED, with a known working GPU and Windows Installation/Recovery drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS