I am immediately logged off.

This problem is on a friends laptop running Windows XP Home. Everything
appears to be fine until the "Welcome" window with the Login icon. Upon
clicking the Login icon it states "Loading personal setting", then
immedialtely it states "Logging off". The results are the same in Safe Mode,
and regardless of user icon selected, including "Administrator". I also tried
"Last Known Good Configuration" but no change. I next removed the Hard Drive
and installed it as a slave drive in another PC. I ran AVG Anit-virus scan
and as I suspected it had a couple dozen infected files, these were all
healed or deleted, except for one file which I manually deleted. I also
manually removed thousands of ".eml" files with I understand can be the
result of the Nimda virus. Upon reinstalling the hard drive it still had the
same problem. I ran "chkdsk /p" and "chkdsk /r" from the Recovery Console",
but still no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

This is probably it..I've seen this before --
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/d68d88536276517a/fff180deb49468fe%23fff180deb49468fe?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3

"Preacher Ted" <PreacherTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This problem is on a friends laptop running Windows XP Home. Everything
> appears to be fine until the "Welcome" window with the Login icon. Upon
> clicking the Login icon it states "Loading personal setting", then
> immedialtely it states "Logging off". The results are the same in Safe
> Mode,
> and regardless of user icon selected, including "Administrator". I also
> tried
> "Last Known Good Configuration" but no change. I next removed the Hard
> Drive
> and installed it as a slave drive in another PC. I ran AVG Anit-virus scan
> and as I suspected it had a couple dozen infected files, these were all
> healed or deleted, except for one file which I manually deleted. I also
> manually removed thousands of ".eml" files with I understand can be the
> result of the Nimda virus. Upon reinstalling the hard drive it still had
> the
> same problem. I ran "chkdsk /p" and "chkdsk /r" from the Recovery
> Console",
> but still no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ted

Hi,

This should help:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Blazefind

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Preacher Ted" <PreacherTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This problem is on a friends laptop running Windows XP Home. Everything
> appears to be fine until the "Welcome" window with the Login icon. Upon
> clicking the Login icon it states "Loading personal setting", then
> immedialtely it states "Logging off". The results are the same in Safe
> Mode,
> and regardless of user icon selected, including "Administrator". I also
> tried
> "Last Known Good Configuration" but no change. I next removed the Hard
> Drive
> and installed it as a slave drive in another PC. I ran AVG Anit-virus scan
> and as I suspected it had a couple dozen infected files, these were all
> healed or deleted, except for one file which I manually deleted. I also
> manually removed thousands of ".eml" files with I understand can be the
> result of the Nimda virus. Upon reinstalling the hard drive it still had
> the
> same problem. I ran "chkdsk /p" and "chkdsk /r" from the Recovery
> Console",
> but still no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ted

I tried what was suggest at the website listed, but to no avail. The idea
however may be on the right track. Possibly the registry key that should be
executing "userinit" is executing something else, but not the file suggested.
Can anyone tell me how to examine the registry file of this drive if I load

"D.Currie" wrote:

> This is probably it..I've seen this before --
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/d68d88536276517a/fff180deb49468fe%23fff180deb49468fe?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3
>

> "Preacher Ted" <PreacherTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This problem is on a friends laptop running Windows XP Home. Everything
> > appears to be fine until the "Welcome" window with the Login icon. Upon
> > clicking the Login icon it states "Loading personal setting", then
> > immedialtely it states "Logging off". The results are the same in Safe
> > Mode,
> > and regardless of user icon selected, including "Administrator". I also
> > tried
> > "Last Known Good Configuration" but no change. I next removed the Hard
> > Drive
> > and installed it as a slave drive in another PC. I ran AVG Anit-virus scan
> > and as I suspected it had a couple dozen infected files, these were all
> > healed or deleted, except for one file which I manually deleted. I also
> > manually removed thousands of ".eml" files with I understand can be the
> > result of the Nimda virus. Upon reinstalling the hard drive it still had
> > the
> > same problem. I ran "chkdsk /p" and "chkdsk /r" from the Recovery
> > Console",
> > but still no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ted

It is likely that your drive letters are incorrect. Here is how
you can fix it with some other WinXP PC, by temporarily
installing the problem disk as a slave disk.

1. Run regedit.exe.
2. Single-click HKLM.
3. Click File / Load Hive
4. Type d:\Windows\System32\config\system {OK}
(or whatever the location of the SYSTEM file is on your problem disk)
5. Type MountedDevices {OK}.
6. You will get a new key called "Mounted Devices". Single click it.
7. Click File. The item "Unload Hive" must NOT be greyed out. If it is
then you're in the wrong spot.
8. Navigate to the key "MountedDevices" inside the current key.
9. Delete all keys that look like so: \DosDevices\X: where X can
be any letter of the alphabet.

In stead of deleting keys, you can also rename them to give them
the desired drive letter. If a given drive letter is already taken,
rename the incorrect letter to something else, e.g. Q: in order
to free drive letter C:.