I Am Legend Review

shadeEx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
"The action and scares of "I Am Legend" certainly deliver, but what I'll remember and value most about this film are those quite moments where Neville is staring into a lonely abyss"

I hate it when people misspell "quiet", especially people who write for a living.

echofoxtrot

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
...and in an almost todd flanders sort of way shadeEx casts the first stone....

but relating back to the topic, I'm reading the screenplay now and hoping to go and see the movie tonight.

ummmm brains....

(oh I can't resist with that earlier simpsons referrence)
Bart: "Dad, you shot zombie flanders!"
Homer: "He was a zombie?"

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Thanks for the heads up, ShadeEx. It's been fixed. In the future, it's probably better to e-mail me directly with a correction/spelling error, that way it can get fixed quicker.

but relating back to the topic, I'm reading the screenplay now and hoping to go and see the movie tonight.

Noooo!!!!! The screenplay is the worst part of the movie, Echofoxtrot! Why would you read the thing before seeing the movie? It's going to ruin all the surprises. Honestly, the screenwriters could have done a much better job. I hear there's better versions of the script floating around on the Web, including one of the first drafts Mark Protosevich wrote for this film.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I can't decide if I want to see it or not. Hype and what not make me want to go, but honest reviews and critic reviews make me think other wise. although I personally don't trust critics at all, average folk and what not I do. So we shall see. With movie ticket prices always getting higher, I'm wondering what I'll pay to see this movie. (Last movie I saw in theaters was Transformers, and $9.00 ticket, but I live in Oregon so no sales tax; thank god.)

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

You mean you don't trust me, Justin? :cry:

I guess if you're expecting "I Am Legend" to be an all-out action movie with tons of gore like the "Resident Evil" movies, then you'll be disappointed. It's more of a subtle, character-driven movie with lots of suspense and an eerie atmosphere.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
And since when did Tom's Hardware decide to provide it's readers with full-page Hollywood motion picture reviews??? Kind of defeats the purpose of the rest of the site, not that I have anything against Tom's or it's fine crew. Is this a slow news day or another corporate takeover???

Maybe it's time to bring in a critic who can criticize all the other critics - instead of "two thumbs up" I'll just use "two fingers up"...

I like the movie, by the way. Will Smith is one of my favorites.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

No, it's not a "corporate takeover." Twitch/Tom's Games has be doing some movie reviews for a while now, Luscious. Initially the idea was to focus on video game movies, but since most of them stunk, we turned our attention to the kind of sci-fi/action/fantasty flicks that most in our target audience seem to enjoy (i.e. Transformers, Spider-Man 3, etc.).

Do you really think it defeats the purpose of the rest of the site? I'm asking honestly, with zero sarcasm. We just thought doing occasional movie reviews would be a nice addition to the games coverage on the site.

UTNemesis

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I like seeing reviews like this now and then. Of course, the primary purpose of the site should stay in place, but this kind of material helps spice things up a bit.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Hey, Russell Crowe was great in that movie. But come on, Flasher -- are you telling me you didn't know the roommate/little girl/Ed Harris were figments of his imagination? To me that was the major flaw in that movie. It was too obvious, and instead of trying to force a big, dramatic twist, they should have divulged the fact that he was schizo and that these people were not real. I think the audience would have empathized with Nash more. Again, just my opinion.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006

At first, I thought it WAS a new game based on the movie, as you say. But to put my point another way, would you give Ebert & Roeper an X48 mobo and have them write a review on it??? To me it just doesn't make any sense for a site known to have a strong focus on IT hardware to deviate and write critiques on movies. I think your target audience would most likely look elsewhere to get good movie info, and visit your site expecting solid hardware-related news/reviews. I'm not against new website ideas, nor am I saying you're editorial is wrong, but please leave the cooking to Martha Stewart. :sol:

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Yeah the movie reviews aren't anything new. We've actually written quite a few movie reviews and movie-related stories over the course of this year.

We only review the movies that we're interested in because we feel like you guys share our same tastes being gamers and all. We thought you might like to read movie reviews written by gamers rather than movie reviews written by art house goons, people who like to make the titles into puns, and people desperate to get quoted on a DVD box.

Actually Rob was dying to review Attonement but I said, "Rob...that's going to suck and all the guys on the site are going to laugh at you."

True story.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Hey, Keira Knightley is hot...just saying...

CorbinDallas

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Just saw this in IMAX today and thought it was great.

We left the theater sore, from gripping the armrests.

I even started feeling anxiety when the sun was going down today. LOL!

randomizer

Champion

AAARRRGGHH!!!! Don't go there! :sol:

No it's a good thing, I need to know what DVDs to look out for in the next few months :)

I think this is a good thing, using said formula : occasional, on topic (scifi-super hero etc), and good. Dont need to be warned off by stinkers (let the suckers beware). I was interested before reading the review, moreso now

lopgok

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I don't have any problem with tomshardware reviewing movies.
I don't think they are inherently more or less qualified than Ebert & Roeper.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have read the book, and I have
seen The Omega Man many times (and have the dvd). I fear that few movies are improved by deviating from the book that they are based on, as few screenwriters are more skilled storytellers than the book writers.
The worst example I can think of is "We can remember it for you wholesale" being turned into a travesty of a movie (Total Recall for those of you that are Philip K. Dick challenged.)

The review simply reinforces my fears.

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
I knew Will Smith was popular but DAMN! A better opening than Return of the King? This is very surprising.

Is this because of the inclusion of The Dark Knight trailer perhaps? Perhaps...

From Variety:

"Turning into instant box office legends, Warner Bros.' Will Smith starrer "I Am Legend" became the highest grossing December picture of all time with an estimated opening haul of $76.5 million from 3,606 theaters. Solidifying Smith's status as one of the world's most bankable stars, "Legend" is the new lord and master of the Christmas frame, beating out previous record-holder "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," which opened to $72.6 million in December 2003."

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007

I definately agree with this sentiment. Keira Knightley is indeed hot.

I was pleasently surprised with the film itself. I went in without knowing what the premise of the film was.. and I really enjoyed how the plot unfolded. It really had a great feel.. especially when you first get to witness the horror in a dark warehouse.. but I wont go further than that with details. I had heard from a few that it wasnt a good movie at all.. but now I am glad I went to see it. It had me creeped out for a few days after.

kyzursozay

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Wow, this is the best Hollywood can do, a remake of a remake, no wonder Hollywood won't settle the writer's strike, if this is the best they can come up with maybe we are doomed to extinction!!

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Oh gosh no, I trust most of Tom's hardware reviews to the fullest. Granted Tom's Hardware uses videos and what not to get across points, example given, the Game Review scores and what not. When i said I don't trust critics I was stating the ones you watch on TV or hear on the radio, those ones; I don't trust those at all. No sir.

I went into "I Am Legend" with a sort of open mind. I tried not to compare it to close to 28 Days/Weeks Later; but it seemed to smudge its way in there when "KV Virus" and the "Mutants/Zombies/Vampire-like" beings were introduced and how they acted. I felt the movie was a bit to religious at some points, not because of my own personal preference to any said religion, but for others that were in the room. What if this person didn't believe in "God" and the other was a fanatic for "God"? I tried to look at other perspectives and deemed that the prayer scene was a bit over the top in today's world. But, this is my own opinion and should be taken in value to that of a grain of salt.

Over all I liked the movie a lot. In fact a co-worker and I were discussing it and he made em laugh at one comment; which was that comparing Will Smith in this movie and his pet dog Sam, was the same comparison between a Hunter class in World of Warcraft that's speced Beast Mastery. he's a WoW addict so I expected the comment; and me being a former player I kind of knew what he was referring to. And after I had thought about his idea it kind of made me laugh.

The movie to me was not worth $9.00. No sir. It's a rental and nothing more. I had tremendously high hopes for this movie granted the latest zombie movies I've seen were phenomenal; such as 28 Weeks Later. I liked how you could tell he, that is Dr. Neveille, was going crazy. You could especially tell he was going crazy when he passed the manikin and than proceed to unload a clip into the poor thing. Which by the way did anyone else see the manikin move its head?

But eh, I Am legend was pure hype and nothing more. The fact that it didn't explain anything, such as WHY the KV virus was present, HOW it was made, why these "mutants" were hurt by sunlight, and just general intrigue, were not answered. All i got from it was that some blonde haired chick cured cancer than zombies popped up...and somehow it's now airborne? I don't get it...

shadeEx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

Ah, Dammit Rob, I looked like an *******. Sorry about that...I was trying to be funny, but I re-read my post and totally see that I look like "that guy" (read: 4th quarter armchair editor). It must be frustrating to be called out like that by a forum troll, my sincerest apologies....