Question I am looking for an upgrade CPU for our HTPC. Any thoughts?

DrivingtoMars

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Folks, I have an ASUS H110M-A/M.2 MB, Intel Pentium G4400 (Dual Core, 3.3 GHz) processor, 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM, M.2 120 GB SSD, 1TB HHD, and a 500 watt ASUS Power Supply. It's running Windows 10 Home edition. I've been looking at picking up a pre-owned Core i3/i5 7th gen. Intel processor. Like the i3-7320 for its blazing single core speed, an i5-7600T for its energy efficiency, or even a Pentium G4620 (although unlikely). The G4400 runs well right now. Its not really slow, but restricts the RAM to 2133 speed. Any 7th Gen. processor would run the RAM at 2400 speed. It's used for E-mail, web surfing, some video streaming, and generally lower end applications. I figure there is one available processor upgrade available, before having to look at a new Motherboard. One more thing. I have a CPU fan, and 4 other chassis fans that run constantly. They run at their minimum, and I can hear them. Will a new processor cause me to have more fan noise? The G4400 (CPU) typically sits in the 26-30 degrees (Celsius) range. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
If the computer is still plenty fast for whatever you are doing with it, then throwing money at it serves very little purpose, save the money for when you actually need a far more substantial upgrade with actual reasons other than upgrading for upgrading's sake.

My Core2 E8400 is still good enough for what you said you use your HTPC for with good ol' DDR2-800.

Reactions: DrivingtoMars