[SOLVED] I am looking for an upgrade

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
I currently own a i3 6098p with an rx 550 and 12GB of ram and I can't run newer games on 60 fps on low settings even in 720p so I'm looking for a budget CPU upgrade . To run games like Assassin's creed Odyssey or Origins / Devil May Cry 5 or Doom Eternal
Also , is my CPU being held back by the GPU or is it the other way?

Solution
For OEM systems (Dell/HP/Lenovo/Gateway/Acer/etc etc) I only assume that the motherboard will be compatible with the short list of CPUs that were originally available for configurations of a particular model/year, and those choices rarely include K-series CPUs. ie, if CPU choices for a given system were: i3-6100, i5-6500, i7-6700, then that's all I'd assume is compatible.

That's what Wolf is trying to get info for. If we know the brand and model (ie Dell Optiplex 990) then we can look up the system configurations that were available.

Having the model # of the mobo may be helpful to determine [via google] what system it came out of, so then we can look up what CPU configs that system had. But most of the time (unlike aftermarket...

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
I currently own a i3 6098p with an rx 550 and 12GB of ram and I can't run newer games on 60 fps on low settings even in 720p so I'm looking for a budget CPU upgrade . To run games like Assassin's creed Odyssey or Origins / Devil May Cry 5 or Doom Eternal
Also , is my CPU being held back by the GPU or is it the other way?

Yes I think your CPU is bottle-necking your GPU.
I would go with this CPU...

Intel Core i5-7600K
Amazon $320

Also I would suggest at least 16GB of RAM.

Wolfshadw

Titan
MS 7996 Is the model of the motherboard

And what is the model of the PC? The motherboard used is a (likely tweaked) version of the MSI H110M Pro-D. The CPU Support List shows the 6098P as a 54 watt processor. One of the possible tweaks made to the motherboard could be that it cannot accept a higher wattage processor. If that is the case, then the 7600K @PCMDDOCTORS suggests would not work.

-Wolf sends

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
And what is the model of the PC? The motherboard used is a (likely tweaked) version of the MSI H110M Pro-D. The CPU Support List shows the 6098P as a 54 watt processor. One of the possible tweaks made to the motherboard could be that it cannot accept a higher wattage processor. If that is the case, then the 7600K @PCMDDOCTORS suggests would not work.

-Wolf sends
How do I find out the model for the pc? I went to System Information and looked at the system model and it said MS-7996. Also I didnt mention this but I added 8 RAM of memory and the rtx 550 to this pc because before I only had 4 ram and a gt 730, also switched the power supply .Also also , do you have a better suggestion for a cpu?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Is this a pre-built system that you purchased from a store? Is there a model number on the exterior of the case? We know what a standard motherboard will accept. We don't know if the PC manufacturer tweaked the board limiting what processor you can upgrade to.

-Wolf sends

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Is this a pre-built system that you purchased from a store? Is there a model number on the exterior of the case? We know what a standard motherboard will accept. We don't know if the PC manufacturer tweaked the board limiting what processor you can upgrade to.

-Wolf sends
Yes its a pre-built system that I upgraded . I dont see a model number on the case tho

Wolfshadw

Titan
Without knowing exactly what you have, no one can say with any certainty what will and won't work. I suspect you could get away with a "T" version of a 7th gen Intel processor I5-7600T or I7-7700T, but again, I can't say for certain it will work.

-Wolf sends

For OEM systems (Dell/HP/Lenovo/Gateway/Acer/etc etc) I only assume that the motherboard will be compatible with the short list of CPUs that were originally available for configurations of a particular model/year, and those choices rarely include K-series CPUs. ie, if CPU choices for a given system were: i3-6100, i5-6500, i7-6700, then that's all I'd assume is compatible.

That's what Wolf is trying to get info for. If we know the brand and model (ie Dell Optiplex 990) then we can look up the system configurations that were available.

Having the model # of the mobo may be helpful to determine [via google] what system it came out of, so then we can look up what CPU configs that system had. But most of the time (unlike aftermarket mobos which each have a dedicated webpage laying out CPU compatibility, BIOS updates, etc etc) there's little/no documentation that tells you what CPUs are compatible with OEM mobos.

Last edited:
Solution