I am looking to upgrade my psu and gpu

Tredale

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I have searhed and looked at alot of info on what I would like, but in the end I am still undecided on what to get. For power supplies I have no clue which to get for my pc, but I have heard that corrsair is a good brand to get. other than that I am clueless on power supplies. For gpu I have always purchased low budget ones that are under $100 so I am not familiar with ones that are $200 and which brand is a good or bad. I just do not want to buy them and find out that I could have gotten better for my buck or get something that is known to have issues. Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The purchase will probably be made within this month. BUDGET RANGE: $100-$120 for a 600w-650w PSU and $200-$220 for GPU before rebate.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I use my pc to play games and watch videos the most, search the web for college research and dabble with photoshop. I usually play graphic heavy games such as guildwars 2, Skyrim, COD and the such. I like to play current gen games for the most part so being able to play games that are going to come out in the future with little/no issues would be nice.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Gallaxy GeForce GT 520 1024 mb ddr 3. PSU: pci express x16, it is the cheapest one from best buy that is 400w (which is known for blowing up before reaching max wattage.) I want to get rid of it.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP Pavilion Elite m9300t with an intel core 2 quad Q6700 @ 2.66 ghz and 2.67 ghz, IPIBL-LB (Benicia) motherboard, 6 gigs PC2-6400 (800 MHz) ram (dimm socket) Everything is in the same case as depicted at HP.com with the stock cooling system.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I prefere newegg. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (United States)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I usually get nvidia cards, but I am willing to consider a change just as long as the card is reliable.

Again any assistance would be appreciated.

OVERCLOCKING:No, I do not have the funds to put in more cooling at the time. SLI OR CROSSFIRE:No, the motherboard is not capable of doing either.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 acer display connected by hdmi (currently use lower resolution to play games.)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to play my games at full resolution or as close as possible with out loosing frame rate.

Tredale

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for the recomendations I really appreciate it, I definitly like the video card and what people think of it in the reviews. I remember seeing that power supply in the past, but did not have the money at the time to do this upgrade, after looking at the reviews there is quite a few people that have said that there are fan issues and overheating problems. Then there are reviews that say that that specific version is discontinued and people are being shipped an older version instead that has these known issues.

Is there any other reccomendations for a PSU that will work with my specs and this new card that is reliable. I just want to make sure that I get a decent one, so I do not find myself constantly RMAing or have to worry about damaging anything.