Question I am noticing no difference in fps after upgrading my gpu

Mar 16, 2023
I recently upgraded some of the parts in my alienwear aurora r7 I upgraded from a 400W power supply to a 750W power supply I went from 8G of ram to 16G and (that did boost my fps) and from a 1060ti to a 3060ti with two 8 connectors I have noticed no fps difference on the game fortnite and suspect this could be due to my motherboard or cpu I have a I7 8700k and my graphics card is connected to my motherboard through a x8 slot

If the difference in performance between the highest graphical quality and lowest graphical quality is barely anything, your CPU isn't up to snuff rendering more than what the lowest graphical setting gets.

Remember, the CPU still has to tell the GPU what to do. If it can't do this fast enough, your frame rate is limited by that.

Mar 11, 2023
Remember, the CPU still has to tell the GPU what to do. If it can't do this fast enough, your frame rate is limited by that.

I do not see his CPU being a problem here unless it is defective, i7 8700k might be a bit older but it still preforms really well ( I have it myself ), he will have some bottleneck but not significant amount (mby around 10% at 1080p). If his motherboard has PCIe 3.0 it will decrease performance but it would go probably unnoticed. he should have at least some performance boost going from 1060ti to 3060ti, OR mby he just did not use DDU to clean up old drivers if he is a beginner.

I am soon upgrading from 1070ti to 6700xt, and I am expecting a fear amount of performance boost, meaning he should too.

"I am no expert by any means" So do not take anything for granted.

Edit: he should tell us his cpu temp, and gpu temp while gaming/stress test, one of those could be defective.

Last edited:
This is a clear CPU bottleneck. There's no way that an Intel 8th-gen CPU won't badly bottleneck an RTX 3060 Ti.

Hell, an i9-10900K, a CPU that is considerably faster than an i7-8700K, will bottleneck an RX 6600, a card that is considerably slower than the RTX 3060 Ti.
This is a textbook example of an unbalanced gaming system. Your video card can render frames much faster than your CPU can call for them. The i7-8700K is probably a good match for the GTX 1060 Ti but probably not much more than that. Remember, we're talking about a CPU that will be turning six years old this year. It's not a bad gaming CPU by any means, but you're not going to get better FPS just by throwing faster video cards at it because it can only go so fast.

Adding a faster video card to an older CPU won't get you better 1080p frame rates than you had but it will get you better 1440p frame rates. You should be able to get a similar number of frames at 1440p that you were getting at 1080p.

To get more FPS at 1080p, you'll need a new CPU (and possibly a motherboard). Fortunately, your DDR4 can be re-used whether you choose the AMD AM4 or Intel LGA 1700 platforms. Once you do though, your gaming performance will increase dramatically.

Mar 11, 2023
This is a clear CPU bottleneck. There's no way that an Intel 8th-gen CPU won't badly bottleneck an RTX 3060 Ti.

Hell, an i9-10900K, a CPU that is considerably faster than an i7-8700K, will bottleneck an RX 6600, a card that is considerably slower than the RTX 3060 Ti.
This is a textbook example of an unbalanced gaming system. Your video card can render frames much faster than your CPU can call for them. The i7-8700K is probably a good match for the GTX 1060 Ti but probably not much more than that. Remember, we're talking about a CPU that will be turning six years old this year. It's not a bad gaming CPU by any means, but you're not going to get better FPS just by throwing faster video cards at it because it can only go so fast.

Adding a faster video card to an older CPU won't get you better 1080p frame rates than you had but it will get you better 1440p frame rates. You should be able to get a similar number of frames at 1440p that you were getting at 1080p.

To get more FPS at 1080p, you'll need a new CPU (and possibly a motherboard). Fortunately, your DDR4 can be re-used whether you choose the AMD AM4 or Intel LGA 1700 platforms. Once you do though, your gaming performance will increase dramatically.
bottleneck, but a really bad one I do not think so. I am upgrading to 6750xt which I think is quite similar to 3060ti. Referring to a research I ve done prior to ordering new gpu the bottleneck should be 10-15% depending on a game ( which is not a very bad bottleneck in almost everybody's book ), so I highly doubt that he would see 0 increase in FPS when getting a new gpu unless the past gpu already was too strong for the cpu, and i7 8700k is FAR away from bottlenecking a 1060ti.

I think u are underestimating the i7 8700k only because it is 4-5 years old, watch some videos of people comparing 5600x and i7 8700k using the rx 6700xt, the ingame performance is very similar, 5600x providing a slightly higher performance, and 5600x is considered a really good cpu for 6700xt.

My final opinion his FPS should NOT stay the same because of his CPU. ( unless faulty)

I will look at the video u sent later, and update, mby im missing something.

bottleneck, but a really bad one I do not think so. I am upgrading to 6750xt which I think is quite similar to 3060ti. Referring to a research I ve done prior to ordering new gpu the bottleneck should be 10-15% depending on a game ( which is not a very bad bottleneck in almost everybody's book ), so I highly doubt that he would see 0 increase in FPS when getting a new gpu unless the past gpu already was too strong for the cpu, and i7 8700k is FAR away from bottlenecking a 1060ti.

I think u are underestimating the i7 8700k only because it is 4-5 years old, watch some videos of people comparing 5600x and i7 8700k using the rx 6700xt, the ingame performance is very similar, 5600x providing a slightly higher performance, and 5600x is considered a really good cpu for 6700xt.

My final opinion his FPS should NOT stay the same because of his CPU. ( unless faulty)

I will look at the video u sent later, and update, mby im missing something.

Well, there are different levels of expert and different ways of being one so don't judge yourself too harshly. My expertise doesn't come from formal training, but I have been building PCs since 1988 and I worked at Tiger Direct. Nevertheless, I don't consider myself to be in the same league as some people. However, that video I posted is of a man who really is a tech expert because all he does is test PC hardware all day, every day.

When I first read the title of that Tech Deals video, I didn't know what to make of it. However, here we have him demonstrating that the i9-10900K bottlenecks the "lowly" RX 6600. We also have him demonstrating that a Ryzen 5 1600X bottlenecks an RTX 3090 Ti so badly that it loses to said RX 6600 even though that card is also bottlenecked. To say that my mind was blown by this would be an understatement, but I couldn't argue what my eyes were seeing. That's why I posted the video, I didn't think that anyone would just take my word for it because until I saw it, I wouldn't have taken my word for it either. Believe me, I don't blame anyone for doubting something like that because that would make me a hypocrite.

In that test, the CPU we see is the R7-1700X and there's no question that the i7-8700K is a faster gaming CPU but by how much? I grabbed the Tomb Raider chart from Guru3D because the Tomb Raider series is known to be pretty CPU-heavy:

index.php

We're looking at a 14FPS difference which amounts to about 11%. It's a decent difference but if you look at the video, we were seeing a percentage difference of 28%. Now, this isn't 100% accurate but it is clear that even with an i7-8700K, the RTX 3090 Ti would still lose to the RX 6600. This means that the i7-8700K isn't fast enough to keep up with an RX 6600, let alone an RTX 3060 Ti.

The i7-8700K is bottlenecking that RTX 3060 Ti, and badly. I don't necessarily believe that the FPS didn't go up at all, it probably was just so slight that the OP was very disappointed with it. I don't blame them because before seeing that video, I would've thought the same thing.

At the end of the day we have to remember that the release of Ryzen was a catalyst for competition that hadn't been seen since the Athlon 64. Intel had been sandbagging for the better part of a decade with only slight increases in performance year-over-year because AMD had only FX CPUs in that era. So yeah, back then, a 6 year-old CPU was still perfectly viable because CPUs didn't really advance that much.

I didn't say that the i7-8700K can't game today, I said that it's not capable of super high-FPS 1080p gaming which is why I recommended upping the resolution to 1440p. That will take a lot of the load off of the CPU because it forces the GPU to work harder and therefore lower its FPS to more closely match the i7-8700K. There's no question that the i7-8700K would be fine as long as you're only seeking 60FPS. That's actually pretty amazing considering that it's as old as original Zen.

There's always a bottleneck of some kind in any PC and where that bottleneck is depends not only on what hardware is present but also on what is being done. If you want to do high-res gaming, the CPU doesn't matter that much because your experience is dependent on how quickly the GPU can render the draws that the CPU calls for. OTOH, you want to do 1080p high-FPS gaming, the GPU doesn't matter that much because 1080p is child's play for it. In both situations, the CPU will only be able to make X-number of draw calls per second.

If your CPU is capable of, say, 80 calls per second, then your entire PC is limited to 80FPS. Your GPU will determine which resolution you game at and what eye-candy you can turn on because it's FPS rate is fluid and dependent on what your resolution and graphics settings are. The CPU's FPS rate is more fixed. You can theoretically improve it by closing unused apps and/or overclocking.

Tests that the OP can do are to raise the resolution and see if that slows anything down. If it doesn't (and I don't think that it will), then they're just CPU-limited. The OP jumped TWO video card generations from GTX to RTX with their upgrade and so of course they're going to be CPU-limited. Don't forget what a massive performance uplift that RTX 30 had over RTX 20. The i7-8700K would've been a good match for the GTX 1080 Ti or GTX 2060 Ti but not the RTX 3060 Ti.

Mar 11, 2023
Well, there are different levels of expert and different ways of being one so don't judge yourself too harshly. My expertise doesn't come from formal training, but I have been building PCs since 1988 and I worked at Tiger Direct. Nevertheless, I don't consider myself to be in the same league as some people. However, that video I posted is of a man who really is a tech expert because all he does is test PC hardware all day, every day.

When I first read the title of that Tech Deals video, I didn't know what to make of it. However, here we have him demonstrating that the i9-10900K bottlenecks the "lowly" RX 6600. We also have him demonstrating that a Ryzen 5 1600X bottlenecks an RTX 3090 Ti so badly that it loses to said RX 6600 even though that card is also bottlenecked. To say that my mind was blown by this would be an understatement, but I couldn't argue what my eyes were seeing. That's why I posted the video, I didn't think that anyone would just take my word for it because until I saw it, I wouldn't have taken my word for it either. Believe me, I don't blame anyone for doubting something like that because that would make me a hypocrite.

You seem far more knowledgeable about this matter, so it would take me some research to give a respond to that. But even you admitted that just the title of this video is very controversial to the things which are represented to us on a daily basis, so it is hard for me just to say oh hey this is 100% correct, because if I had to guess there are not many videos like this one showing these unexpected results.

Since the original poster does not care to reply to the people trying to help him, I will ask you the question about my situation.
So I decided to upgrade gpu as stated above, many people are saying that they paired i7 8700k with 6700xt and that they are getting high fps even at 1080p ( of course 1440 would be far better )

Secondly, benchmarks comparing cpu,s which are considered very good for 6700xt ( for example 5600x) do not give any great amount of FPS "more" than if 6700xt is used with i7 8700k ( better yes, but not worth spending money for new CPU ),

Lastly we all know that bottleneck calculators are not crazy accurate, but when you go to the PC Builds bottleneck calculator and select i7 8700k, 6700xt, 1080p it says that the bottleneck is 7.3%, so even tho it is not accurate, I highly doubt that in the real world the actual bottleneck would be like 30% making the upgrade worthless.

And btw I just started digging into the AMD world, therefore I still have many things to learn, so maybe 6700xt would perform better with i7 8700k than 3060ti (even tho the performance of those 2 gpus are similar) , because it is built different or anything like that.

If you can spare some time to check any tests, anything regarding pairing those 2 components and tell me your opinion in terms of "is the upgrade worth it". I would really really appreciate it!

pc spec:
RAM: 3200mhz cl16 (2x16gb)

Cpu: i7 8700k cpu info, water cooled (single fan) perfect temperatures, what could be my OC potential, currently runs stable at almost 4.7Ghz zero OC

Gpu: MSI 1070ti data sheet, "Next week upgrading to RX 6750xt data sheet" price difference between 6700xt and 6750xt is only 20$ so I might go with that

Motherboard: MSI Z370 A PRO Data sheet

PSU: DeepCool DA700 Plus Bronze / 700w info ( I know I should change it😑 , tight budged currently )

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
Everything here was bought bit less than 4 and a half years ago.

Thank you in advance buddy. Edit: and to anybody else who replies.

Last edited: