I am planning on a PC build , Should I go for i5-4690k (DDR3) or i5-6600K (DDR4)

Tejas Parekh

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
Hi,
I am planning on a budget build , I am going to use my old CPU parts such as power supply case and other stuff. The only confusion I have currently I have is at this point of time should I go for an 4690K processor which has DDR3 rams @ CL9 or go for 6600K which has DDR4 @CL14 rams. I feel going for a new technology is a pretty futuristic step, but at the same time keeping in mind DDR4 is an infant child in front of more mature DDR3. All I want is an opinion on at this point of time which system should I build which would last me at the least for 3years.

PS: Apologies on my grammar and English if things are not right.

Solution
If you can spare the $40 + the cost increase over the slightly older hardware. Yes.

You've lost me on your second sentence.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
The question is how much do you want to have to replace in 3 years? The performance differences between generations of Intel processors have gotten to be small enough to be relatively meaningless. If you're looking to replace CPU and motherboard anyways in 3 years, I would say go with whichever option leaves you with more budget for GPU. If you want a CPU/motherboard/memory setup that will last more than 3 years, then getting the 6600K and DDR4 makes more sense.

DDR3 RAM is cheap due to the maturity, but the adoption of DDR4 is beginning to drive prices down to be competitive, so the cost difference is shrinking. This is why I generally recommend a decision based on your future plans more than immediate costs or needs.

Tejas Parekh

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014

Hi First of all many thanks for a respond. I have an old PC which I am currently using which has DDR3 8 gigs of ram a GTX 750-ti OC (2GB) a 500 W CM power supply, the processor is QuadCore Q8400 (really old cpu). I am basically looking to scvange the parts so that I can replace the MOBO & Processor alone also if its going to be DDR4 then I would have to switch out RAM DIMS as well. As a matter of fact in 3 years I might change the GPU & also upgrade the RAMS.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
2x4GB kit of DDR4 2400 is only about $35-40 dollars. If you take memory away from the old build, then you have a useless processor/motherboard.

You can certainly keep the PSU, but I'm not sure I would want to build an OC capable system with it. Though if you want to get into overclocking, certainly pick up a Z170 board and a K class chip. You can always replace the power supply later.

It would be a bit unbalanced though. GPUs can be replaced easily enough later on as well.

Tejas Parekh

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014

Thank You for the reply so I should go for DDR4 with a i5- 6600K ? but keeping in mind the upgrade ability with 4690 K ?