Question I am sad I bought a 3060 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

scerab

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
I feel bad that I bought a 3060 GPU pre built gaming desktop. What do you guys think? Is the desktop below a good deal? I bought it for $1180 total.

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2170

•NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (12 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

•256 SSD storage

•1 TB HDD storage

•HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit

•BU RCTO UMA PAV GAM TG01-2 B550A US

•16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

•Realtek Canary ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 M.2 2230 PCI-e+USB WW with 2 Antennas

•Shadow black front bezel, Acid Green Chrome logo with 400W Power supply

•Windows 11 Home 64 Plus

•OSLOC US

•AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G (3.9 GHz up to 4.4 GHz , 16 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)

•FLAG EPEAT

•FLAG ENERGY STAR Qualified

Koeynig

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
I have similar setup and tbh it's my first gaming PC I have ever had. I'm quite happy with this PC. The temps during gaming are bit higher but I'm gonna upgrade cooling system. I had limited budget so I couldn't afford to select any components I want + current GPU situation is sick. There are almost no GPUs to get and if you even manage to find some RTX 30xx, its price begins at 900$ +(but first you have to find that GPU somewhere). Then add to it cost of CPU,RAMs, MB, CASE, etc and your total price is well above 1600$.. So be happy with it, stick to it for a while and then maybe sell it and buy something better once things get better.

scerab

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
One thing that concerns me is the power supply. I mean I bought this straight from the HP website. It says that it has a 400 W power supply. Is this enough?
And on the specs it says: WARR 1/1/0. Is this the warranty?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
One thing that concerns me is the power supply. I mean I bought this straight from the HP website. It says that it has a 400 W power supply. Is this enough?
And on the specs it says: WARR 1/1/0. Is this the warranty?

Basically, they only care about the PSU lasting for a year, because after that, it's a "you problem" and not a "them problem." Doesn't tell us that much, though.

Honestly, if you got an HP, I don't think the problem is the price you paid but your choice to go with an OEM that has a lot of proprietary parts. You may need a new motherboard or at least an adapter of variable quality to upgrade the PSU. The system integrators have their own problem, but with a Cyberpower or an Ibuypower or even a lot from brands like Asus or MSI, you'll at least have standardized parts that aren't worthless outside the PC. The Gamers Nexus HP buy review ended up with Steve getting a PC with some unbelievably cheap parts, including a real cheap HP-GPU version.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZGmWZyhac

I feel bad that I bought a 3060 GPU pre built gaming desktop. What do you guys think? Is the desktop below a good deal? I bought it for $1180 total.

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2170

•NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (12 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

•256 SSD storage

•1 TB HDD storage

•HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit

•BU RCTO UMA PAV GAM TG01-2 B550A US

•16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

•Realtek Canary ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 M.2 2230 PCI-e+USB WW with 2 Antennas

•Shadow black front bezel, Acid Green Chrome logo with 400W Power supply

•Windows 11 Home 64 Plus

•OSLOC US

•AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G (3.9 GHz up to 4.4 GHz , 16 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)

•FLAG EPEAT

•FLAG ENERGY STAR Qualified
You didn't have a choice, the market forced you to do this. Spec wise it's a nice machine, the price is fine. A 400W PSU is a bit low but OEM's rarely give you more than what you need. With that being said though, the 5600G isn't a particularly hungry CPU, you would be looking at peak power 85W but 65W during sustained loads like gaming. The 3060 will use max 200W, the rest of the system won't take up too much so I wouldn't have thought you'd operate at more than 80% of the PSU's rated 400W under load.

No. It's not enough.
Minimum recommended PSU for RTX 3060 is 550W.

Can you show photo of label printed on your PSU?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
Those Nvidia specs were produced with a 10900K at stock speeds, his 5600G is a much more frugal chip so while low he should be ok.
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-psu-nvidia-rtx-3060

"The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 is not nearly as much of a power-hungry beast as the higher-end RTX graphics cards. The RTX 3060 has a power consumption rating of 170W. NVIDIA recommends that you use at least a 550W PSU. NVIDIA's testing for this GPU was done with an Intel i9-10900K, which is quite a power-hungry chip."

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly not much difference between the 3060 and 3060ti, and you can't go by even the pro reviews as those are done under optimal conditions. But considering the range of fps either card is capable of, you cannot physically see any difference. For all intents and purposes they are the same card. A 3060. It'd take a move to a 3070 class card to tell any difference, and then only if you already knew the exact fps numbers.

You got a decent gpu in 2021, and it didn't cost you your first born. Be grateful.

scerab

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
Honestly not much difference between the 3060 and 3060ti, and you can't go by even the pro reviews as those are done under optimal conditions. But considering the range of fps either card is capable of, you cannot physically see any difference. For all intents and purposes they are the same card. A 3060. It'd take a move to a 3070 class card to tell any difference, and then only if you already knew the exact fps numbers.

You got a decent gpu in 2021, and it didn't cost you your first born. Be grateful.

Thank you for helping me feel better. I felt really bad after watching the above linked YouTube video.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ebay pricing for a 3060 is @ $750-$800. For a 3060ti it's @ $950-$1000. Gaming, the 3060ti averages @ 10fps ± higher, depending on the game. Considering the vram difference doesn't really do anything for 1080p/1440p resolutions, and the fps the cards are capable of, the only difference other than the rediculous pricing will be found in fps counters or benchmarks. For game play, even 2 otherwise identical systems side by side you'd not see any difference.

By comparison, the 3070 is @ $1000-1100 and roughly 30fps ± and a solid 1440p card, putting it at much better value than the 3060ti.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatblabs
Status
Not open for further replies.