Question I am so confused about how to get RGB to work in my new planned build

Feb 13, 2020
I am trying to build a new PC as my old one is 9 years old and not performing well anymore. In my new PC, I plan to use the NZXT H210 case and I'm going for a white theme with RGB. The case comes with 2 x 120mm non-RGB case fans which I plan to move to the front of the case, so I can put 2 x ARGB fans for the top and rear exhaust. I also want to put an ARGB strip at the top of the case to shine down on the components. The reason I am not going with H210i with an RGB strip and RGB controller already installed is that you have to use NZXT's RGB fans which are black in color, going against the white theme I want.

Here is my pcpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qM8mmk

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor |-
CPU Cooler | Enermax ETS-T50 AXE ARGB 71.32 CFM CPU Cooler | $44.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $89.99 @ B&H
Storage | ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $189.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card |-
Case | NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case | $79.99 @ B&H
Power Supply | Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Newegg
Monitor | Asus PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor |-
Monitor | Gigabyte G34WQC 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor |-
Mouse | Glorious PC Gaming Race Model O Wireless Optical Mouse |-
Headphones | Corsair VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset |-
Speakers | AmazonBasics U213 2.2 W 2.0 Channel Speakers | $17.98 @ Amazon
Custom | Clovertale Braided ATX Sleeved Cable Extension kit for Power Supply Cable Kit, PSU connectors, 24 Pin, 8 pin, 6 pin 4 + 4 Pin, 6 pack, with cable mounts and ties (White) | $24.99 @ Amazon
Custom | Silverstone 8-Port PWM Fan Hub/Splitter for 4-Pin & 3-Pin Fans in Black SST-CPF04-USA (Newest Version) | $14.99 @ Amazon
Custom | MICRO CONNECTORS, Inc. Addressable RGB 1 to 4 Splitter Cable - 30cm | $8.99 @ Amazon
Custom | RK ROYAL KLUDGE RK61 Wired 60% Mechanical Gaming Keyboard RGB Backlit Ultra-Compact Brown Switch-White |-
Custom | Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo White Edition Duo-Ring Addressable RGB 120mm Fan with 24 Independently-Controlled LEDs, Absorbing Rubber Pads, PWM Static Pressure for Case & Liquid Radiato |-
Custom | NEON Digital RGB LED Strip for PC, Addressable LED Strip for 5V 3pin ARGB LED Header, Compatible with Aura SYNC, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light Sync, Come with 12pcs Strong Magnetic Br | $25.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $737.87
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $707.87
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-14 20:28 EST-0500 |

These are the questions I have:

1.) will the pcie 3.0 x 4 on the $99 mobo hinder the graphics card vs pcie 3.0 x 16 and is that pice 3.0 x 4 just for the m.2 slot or also for the graphics card slot?
2.) can I plug all my 2 fan rgb cables and strip rgb cable into a splitter and plug that into the argb port on the mobo? Can I do the same thing with the power cables and a power splitter?
3.) Does this mobo have an argb port? It says it does, but I only see a 12V RGB plug in pictures of the mobo
4.) Will I run into extreme heat issues with the itx VRM and 3080
5.) Can I find a 3080 with white theme and rgb?
6.) Will my cpu cooler have 2 plugs (one for RGB and one for PWR)? If so, where can I plug in the RGB cable?
7.) Will 2 front case fans block my gpu?
8.) Should I get a sfx psu for increased air flow, or would that limit my gpu?
9.) is there anything i can do to make the front USB-c port on the case usable (like an adapter or something)?
10.) Does my pcpartpicker list have everything I need in the custom section to make all of the RGB work?
11.) Are there any cheaper alternative ways I can go about making all the RGB components work?

I am trying to build a new PC as my old one is 9 years old and not performing well anymore. In my new PC, I plan to use the NZXT H210 case and I'm going for a white theme with RGB. The case comes with 2 x 120mm non-RGB case fans which I plan to move to the front of the case, so I can put 2 x ARGB fans for the top and rear exhaust. I also want to put an ARGB strip at the top of the case to shine down on the components. The reason I am not going with H210i with an RGB strip and RGB controller already installed is that you have to use NZXT's RGB fans which are black in color, going against the white theme I want.

Here is my pcpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qM8mmk

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor |-
CPU Cooler | Enermax ETS-T50 AXE ARGB 71.32 CFM CPU Cooler | $44.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $89.99 @ B&H
Storage | ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $189.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card |-
Case | NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case | $79.99 @ B&H
Power Supply | Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Newegg
Monitor | Asus PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor |-
Monitor | Gigabyte G34WQC 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor |-
Mouse | Glorious PC Gaming Race Model O Wireless Optical Mouse |-
Headphones | Corsair VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset |-
Speakers | AmazonBasics U213 2.2 W 2.0 Channel Speakers | $17.98 @ Amazon
Custom | Clovertale Braided ATX Sleeved Cable Extension kit for Power Supply Cable Kit, PSU connectors, 24 Pin, 8 pin, 6 pin 4 + 4 Pin, 6 pack, with cable mounts and ties (White) | $24.99 @ Amazon
Custom | Silverstone 8-Port PWM Fan Hub/Splitter for 4-Pin & 3-Pin Fans in Black SST-CPF04-USA (Newest Version) | $14.99 @ Amazon
Custom | MICRO CONNECTORS, Inc. Addressable RGB 1 to 4 Splitter Cable - 30cm | $8.99 @ Amazon
Custom | RK ROYAL KLUDGE RK61 Wired 60% Mechanical Gaming Keyboard RGB Backlit Ultra-Compact Brown Switch-White |-
Custom | Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo White Edition Duo-Ring Addressable RGB 120mm Fan with 24 Independently-Controlled LEDs, Absorbing Rubber Pads, PWM Static Pressure for Case & Liquid Radiato |-
Custom | NEON Digital RGB LED Strip for PC, Addressable LED Strip for 5V 3pin ARGB LED Header, Compatible with Aura SYNC, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light Sync, Come with 12pcs Strong Magnetic Br | $25.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $737.87
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $707.87
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-14 20:28 EST-0500 |

These are the questions I have:

1.) will the pcie 3.0 x 4 on the $99 mobo hinder the graphics card vs pcie 3.0 x 16 and is that pice 3.0 x 4 just for the m.2 slot or also for the graphics card slot?
2.) can I plug all my 2 fan rgb cables and strip rgb cable into a splitter and plug that into the argb port on the mobo? Can I do the same thing with the power cables and a power splitter?
3.) Does this mobo have an argb port? It says it does, but I only see a 12V RGB plug in pictures of the mobo
4.) Will I run into extreme heat issues with the itx VRM and 3080
5.) Can I find a 3080 with white theme and rgb?
6.) Will my cpu cooler have 2 plugs (one for RGB and one for PWR)? If so, where can I plug in the RGB cable?
7.) Will 2 front case fans block my gpu?
8.) Should I get a sfx psu for increased air flow, or would that limit my gpu?
9.) is there anything i can do to make the front USB-c port on the case usable (like an adapter or something)?
10.) Does my pcpartpicker list have everything I need in the custom section to make all of the RGB work?
11.) Are there any cheaper alternative ways I can go about making all the RGB components work?
Your MB does have one ARGB, header

1. not much. first PCIe slot is controlled by CPU, you have more than enough PCIe lines.
  2. MB does have one ARGB so splitter would work, but it needs to be ARGB not RGB, they are different.
Fan power cables yes, you can use splitter, 4pin PWM.
  1. Check manual for MB.
  2. VRM on MB has nothing to do with GPU.
  3. No idea
  4. Yes but be careful, you already have a lot of RGB, header may not be enough.
I must question some things, small MB in a small case with all that stuff will be nightmare to fit all those things and cool them.
Triple check if GPU can even fit in that case. It's very large.
Might need stronger PSU.

Feb 13, 2020
Your MB does have one ARGB, header

1. not much. first PCIe slot is controlled by CPU, you have more than enough PCIe lines.
  2. MB does have one ARGB so splitter would work, but it needs to be ARGB not RGB, they are different.
Fan power cables yes, you can use splitter, 4pin PWM.
  1. Check manual for MB.
  2. VRM on MB has nothing to do with GPU.
  3. No idea
  4. Yes but be careful, you already have a lot of RGB, header may not be enough.
I must question some things, small MB in a small case with all that stuff will be nightmare to fit all those things and cool them.
Triple check if GPU can even fit in that case. It's very large.
Might need stronger PSU.

Do I need something like an RGB controller to plug all of the RGB cables into or could I just daisy chain my ARGB light strips and 2 ARGB fans together and plug that directly into the ARGB header on the MB? Would daisy chaining prevent me from controlling each ARGB component independently of the others?

To answer your question as to why the small case, I really like this build I saw on reddit and am trying to replicate it with a 3080 and ARGB instead of only white LED's.
m7p1nni5svc31.jpg

I'm also trying to do a desk set up like the picture below and think a larger tower on my desk would take up too much space and mess with the aesthetic. I've searched around and people say the 3080 FE fits in the H210, but I'm not sure if it will with 2 120mm case fans in the front

wyoy8mwwx0841.jpg

Is there any accurate way to predict the power draw the PC will have under load? I have heard pcpartpicker's power consumption tool isn't very accurate.

Last edited: