[SOLVED] I am so lost - need help with Asmedia USB root hub driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I've been at this for a few days now with no success. My computer shows a bad Asmedia USB root hub driver (asmthub3 I believe). It showed there's an issue in device manager so I uninstalled it to try to get it to reload. But I can't get my computer to recognize the new driver or maybe I'm just not installing it correctly. Hoping someone here can help me please.

Motherboard is ASUS Rog Strix z370-e gaming.

View: https://imgur.com/a/IPnkkC9

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Solved - when I forced an update to ASMedia extensible host 3.1 driver using the latest from the Microsoft website, it cleared out all driver issues and now my Oculus connects. Hope this thread helps someone else. Frustrating that Windows says its up to date, but Microsoft has a newer driver that solves this issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
The Asmedia drivers are meant to come from Windows 10 update catalog

Do you have the latest version of Intel Management Engine Interface installed? or Intel chipset driver?
You get them from here - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z370-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download
As according to this you get it in the chipset drivers - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ia-USB3-1-eXtensible-Host-Controller-amp-no-s
Yes, I have downloaded and installed it (the Asussetup.exe one). What do I do next? If I point the install driver to that folder, it doesn't find anything.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Yes, I have downloaded and installed it (the Asussetup.exe one). What do I do next? If I point the install driver to that folder, it doesn't find anything.
You have to also install Bluetooth wifi driver for your motherboard.
In the pic it is also showing error in bluetooth so install bluetooth and wifi drivers also from Asus website.

Reactions: ChangeinPortland

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I don't really use Bluetooth for this computer (I don't think - mouse, keyboard, and headset are all wired) but I tried bluetooth in the past. When I try to update it, it says it's already a better version. When I run asussetup.exe from the bluetooth driver download from Asus, it says my current software is not authorized. So I guess I should probably reset the bluetooth driver back to the original from Asus and then update. But does that have anything to do with the other driver error?

Also, I noticed my USB root hub driver is showing up as fine and working in the USB Controllers section within device manager. So I'm wondering why it's also in the Other devices section - is that normal? When I check under properties, details tab of those two devices with the errors, their hardware ids clearly say they're ASMedia USB root hubs.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Intel® Z370 Chipset :
6 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z270 Chipset :
6 x USB 2.0 port(s)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller : *6
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller :
2 x USB 3.1 port(s) (Support 3A power output, Type-A + USB Type-CTM)
These are usb in your motherboard.
bluetooth and wifi are inbuilt in your motherboard so download drivers from Asus or if you have driver cd from there also.
check ASmedia chip model no. then you can search for drivers regarding the details.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Please share your device manager screenshot of bluetooth, network adapter and usb section devices like above complete info.
and which usb mouse and keyboard you are using try changing usb slot.
And what digital media devices you have connected.
Or you can try one thing if you have a extra hdd or ssd just connect that only and install fresh windows in it and check if that also shows same things

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Ok, I fixed the Bluetooth drivers. Strangely, when I update the adapter using Driver Booster 8, it loads a driver from 2019 vs. Asus driver from 2018 and creates the error. I also removed the CSR bluetooth chip which boosts bluetooth because it also creates an error and I'm not using it anyway. So now the only device manager errors I have are related to ASMedia root hubs.

All of my USB ports seem to work for typical peripherals (webcam, headphones, mouse, keyboard) except that my Oculus Quest 2 does not. I have tried it in both the USB-C port and a regular fast USB port (blue ones) with an adapter which should work (USB 3.1 GEN 2 Male to Type-C Female Adapter ). Either approach should work. Some backstory here is that I went through Oculus support for over a week and now have an RMA to send the Quest 2 back to them. But I have 30 days and want to be sure it's not my USB root hub before I do that.

One question I have is should I have a second USB root hub in the device manager USB controllers section at the bottom? The only one I have says USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). I am wondering if that's the problem as I don't see one for 3.1? When I google device manager images randomly with some of my key search words, I do see some device managers having "ASMedia USB Root Hub" under that last USB Controllers section. I am wondering if that's what the error I'm seeing is - not having that ASMedia USB root hub driver that I need for Oculus.

Here is a picture of my device manager as it stands now. I hope to avoid reinstalling windows as that would mean reloading all apps and files.

View: https://imgur.com/a/WKyPbab

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have 4 hubs called USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) at bottom so its likely its normal.

can you try the occulus thing out on another pc? that will tell you if its your pc or not.

Did you get error from the 2019 driver or did I read that wrong?

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I managed to test on another PC and the Oculus worked. So it's my computer and likely related to this driver issue. I've also updated bios and everything else I could find.

So I guess my options are 1) build a new computer which I was going to do anyway at some point soon or 2) reinstall windows. Is that right? If I reinstall windows, how much work is all that? I can start doing the research I suppose if you guys can't think of any other options.

I do have an external backup from a few months back that I could use as well...? Or maybe I should try Geek Squad or something?

Last edited:

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Solved - when I forced an update to ASMedia extensible host 3.1 driver using the latest from the Microsoft website, it cleared out all driver issues and now my Oculus connects. Hope this thread helps someone else. Frustrating that Windows says its up to date, but Microsoft has a newer driver that solves this issue.

Reactions: Ds_Tech
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.