I am still on Windows 7, and it's nearly closing time to choose windows 10 free.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Thank you madmatt.
To be honest I do not know why I have not installed it yet. I think it's because I am just seeing how Win 10 is on its own. I do object to having to type for stuff in Cortana though, like if I want disc-clean-up.

What I said above though , that which you replied to, was me letting off steam about MS. I just don't get why they think it's OK to treat customers the way they do. It's like XP was good, Vista bad, Win 7 good, 8 - bad. All that money they have, Bill gates richest man ever, but still you only one in two OS worth owning.

They should give anyone with a copy of Vista a free upgrade to Win 7.

Colif

Win 11 Master

They removed button and turned the left column into one long list of apps, all the ones that would have appeared if you clicked button. its not as bad as it sounds. Most used apps show just above them, and recently added above them.

see here: Anniversary Start menu

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I am having thoughts of rolling back to Win 7. Sadly I am having issues with Win 10.

1. I can't use Nvidia DSR, because it messes up all my desktop icons. They are all pushed over to the left and jumbled, after I use DSR 1440p on a 1080p monitor. Meaning I have to reorganise them all. ...Never happened in Win 7.

2. Sometimes when I start my PC I have no mouse control. What happens is my USB hub has become inactive. There are no lights on it. I have my mouse, keyboard, and internet dongle on it. ...Somehow Win 10 is causing a short or something. I have to either pull out a device from it which starts it up. Or power it off and on again. ...........Never happened in Win 7.

3. I was finding Win 10 more stable for my browsers, but that stability is decreasing. Basically my browsers froze all the time in Win 7. I guess it was time to re-install the OS which was two years old. In Win 10 it was better but gradually freezing is returning. ...I always thought however it was down to my internet dongle. When I had other internet access, it didn't happen.

4. Win 10 is quite a bit slower at shutting down. Booting up is 50/50. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower. Sometimes it will boot up quick, but be unresponsive for quite a while.

5. Sometimes the start menu is unresponsive, which is a Win 10 known problem. (I tried all the fixes except for re-install.) ....It never happened in Win 7.

I think possibly I might be able to cure most of this with a full clean install. This is an upgrade over the top of Win 7.

@ Colif, thank you, I see it. (The update is not here yet by the way. They are rolling it out staggered I think.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
you did an upgrade, and your previous OS had same issues, upgrades tend to bring the problems with them

I would either use the Media creation tool that you can get from the link below or use the same link to get the win 10 upgrade assistant and then upgrade to new version and see if that fixes it. If you weren't having all these problems I would suggest second choice but you may be better with clean install with new win 10 drivers and nothing left over from win 7 to mess you up.

download win 10

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

The only issue I had in Win 7 was browsers freezing and I said that. ...Otherwise I would be no point switching back to 7 would there?....

Colif

Win 11 Master
main message was upgrades from 7 tend to go badly, fresh install normally fixes their problems.

If you want to go back to win 7, I cannot stop you. Just trying to offer a solution :)

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I really think that is the case, and possibly the solution. I am going to have to dig out a free app to replace Windows Easy Transfer. That's always been my main issue, because it was so easy and so rock solid reliable. I like to one click put everything back in place, and it transfers over IE Favourites. ..Transferring Favourites over works manually but it puts them back in alphabetical order. Thus I want an app to do it right.

Plus I had issues trying to do a clean install. I think it was AHCI (that wildcard figured out it could be). I remember it from a long time ago. (See previous posts.)

I worry about Nvidia DSR though. That's a very odd problem. Plus I have read that other folk are having some issues with Win 10 with games. My games are otherwise OK though and I am happy.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I decided it's probably a good idea to start a thread with my problems.

I am also wondering. If I roll back to Win 7 does my Win 7 licence still allow me to upgrade to Win 10 again later. Meaning will I be able to upgrade free again since this licence took advantage of the free upgrade and did it. I am thinking I should be able to use my Win 7 licence to be able to install Win 7 or Win 10 - I hope.

@Colif, yeah thanks. I can see why my post of list of five Win 10 problems was a bit confusing. I have edited it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you upgraded PC to win 10 you got a digital Entitlement to always install win 10 again on that machine. So you can use 7 for a few years and then install 10 and it will work.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you Colif. I was hoping so. I think there is also a method where you can register you Win 7 key. I guess having done an over the top upgrade I have done that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you updated to win 10 the first time its likely they recorded the licence key on the PC at that stage. Your DE (Digital entitlement) would include your pc's hardware + whichever licence you updated from. As of the last update you can also link that to your email address meaning you can finally swap the motherboard and not need a new key or ring Microsoft and beg them to reactivate you. we unsure how much you can swap but since you couldn't easily swap motherboard before, its a nice change.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Brilliant; I hope that's right.

I was hoping my key would still transfer to another PC. I mean it doesn't matter if it doesn't but, that was the plan.

I figured it would work under Win 7, but was not sure under 10.