RJB3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hello and thanks in advance just wondering if anyone has dinged there board with a screw driver and how concerned I should be being its a new fairly nice system . It is right between to memory traces best I can tell. I hit the top of the sn sticker although it did not go through with a magnifing glass you can see a indintion. My question is should I try to boot and risk frying expensive components or should I just buy a new board for the peace of mind? Or am I just being ocd and should just boot?

RJB3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Oh and here are the stats
p5q deluxe
260 gtx
Coisair ddr2 800 8gb
Coirsair 750 watt
linlang case
ac freezer pro 7(where the ding happened)
3.16 duo
2 seagate hardrives

RJB3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks its just one of those things where it just leaves a nagging feeling. I would like to think that I a had a rock solid system. Well I guess you have to pay the price to learn the ropes. Don't think I will have a screw driver in the room next time I work one the heatsink. what sucks is I sent off to upgrade my graphics card so I can not even check it out till wed. Booted it up it emited more beeps than usual though that might be contributed to the missing card. Thanks agian.

It won't hurt anything if you try to boot. If you actually managed to sever a circuit, it would just kill whatever was on that circuit. It's not going to blow and start on fire tho. It's a good idea to boot and check tho, specially if there is an RMA option.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Ya those multiple beeps will happen without the vid card in....Sounds like the boot will be fine when you put your card in though.
I've had the old driver slip a few time over the years and never pooched a board or components.

I had a pc shipped to me 'for parts'. Just for the crap of it, I figured I'd see if it would boot. It was shipped without a motherboard tray, so the board was gettin knocked all around in shipping. Has some dings and scratches on it, but boots up and runs like a charm!
1 little ding shouldnt hurt anything.

RJB3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I appreciate all the input. I have been sweating it for awhile. Well we will see what happens tomorrow the new 260 gtx will be arriving then. I will post the result for others who might run across this issue.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Well, to everyone who posted here, you guys all say that....but let me tell you from experience a ding can make a difference.

I'm mac certified and trust me, they get in some pretty tight spaces. Generally 1 ding as long as you don't hit anything major you'll probably be ok. But it can affect things, but much of the time you are lucky.