Question I am "suddenly" having problems with fps dropping while playing my game. How can i fix this?

Sep 7, 2020
Over the last couple months, i have been running into blue screens here and there while playing league of legends. i think i have an over compensating computer for it. it is dusty af, not cleaned in since i built it, 7 years ago. It used to be able to play starcraft 2, but for the past 3 years, it blue screens, so i dont bother. the processor sais x5690 @ 3.47GHz 3.45 GHz (2 processors) , the ram installed is 16. GB . its 64 bit windows 7. It has 3 graphic cards, but only uses 1. i was thinking about switching to another one to see if it helps. I dont know if i can post pictures . first time posting something in one of these forums, i usually just look for solutions in such things. plz help me return shagbot to being fully operational

Sep 7, 2020
my computer can not open the memory.dmp file. its 723mb. file. i have windows 7 so there is no setting for autimatic dump, i have small dump option and kernal option. how can i post that information on here

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
the FPS drops is more important to me than the BSOD
It isn't. Because they may be one in the same. If it was a one-off BSOD, I wouldn't be concerned. Multiple though? Now you need to look at it. BSOD occur when software or hardware acts in a way that could potentially cause damage/corruption to your system. And whatever is causing the BSOD could well be having a big involvement in your FPS.

Either way, if you're having BSOD, solving that first is likely to give you a better idea as to what you need to do with your FPS. Can't help solve a problem when another big one is potentially covering it up.

But as a first port of call:
  • Ensure all drivers are up to date (not using a driver updater app, if you have used an app to do this, you might want to undo it).
  • Clean your PC. Regardless.
  • Once cleaned, check temperatures of your key components.
  • Ensure your windows is fully up to date.
  • Verify if you have latest BIOS as this may be warranted after all else. But personally wouldn't do this until you know what the cause of the BSOD is.

Reactions: boju
Sep 7, 2020
ill set up a mini dump, and run it into a blue screen. for cleaning the computer, just got some cans of duster. ive actually avoided cleaning it though because i didnt want to break it, its kind of in a half shell, i inheritted it, but i also built it but the case was never big enough so its not actually covered on any sides besides the front is mostly radiator fans. and doing the whole take apart the radiators thing would be quite the process that i wouldnt want my kid to mess around with. but also i just dont know if ill put it back together correctly. could just a rough cleaning help it without taking anything apart? Also since january windows 7 doesnt update itself anymore. I did try to download and did download a driver for a component that said it didnt have a driver for in the device manager it was flagged. I Dled a marvel 91xx driver, it bsod twice on the restart, but then i was "able" to delete it, uninstall it, but it didnt reflag the item that i cant remember the name of in the device manager.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020
i now just did a deeper clean, i know i have a bad pump in the shagbot tho. but just taking out the fan screws i was able to get into it with a toothbrush and used a reverse vacuum to help me blow the <Mod Edit> out. the board is a EVGA super record 2 classified. The pump that all the hoses are connected to started humming hard a couple years ago, and i just put a diaper under it to lessen the sound kind of like turning up the radio when the muffler gets a hole. but the hoses are all so kinky. the water isnt getting pumped for sure. im about to run a game tho and see how these FPS do. after the cleaning i couldnt get it to turn back on, just didnt plug it in right, then i thought i broke it, was getting 8 beeps and then re did some plugs, and then i realized the monitor power wasnt plugged in. winning. everybody loves when they turn back on.

still working on getting it to 100

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 7, 2020
so im looking into this pump redo. its a MCP655, with LMB15107194 pumps attached. it just sits at the bottom of the case, thats the way it was built. pretty sure it doesnt do anything atm besides just bring some water when it turns on and releases some water back into the resveior when it turns back on.

Sep 7, 2020
bout to test this out in game, if it drops a frame id be surprised. the one pump i went to replace, i never installed the o ring for it, it had so much build up, the processor water blocks were <Mod Edit>, one particular. they dont sell them anymore i put teflon tape under the o rings to stop the leaks

same with another leak did the same thing, stripped the <Mod Edit> screws, bought an o ring and pump, numerous hours spent watching it run, seeing this and that,. trying this an that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 7, 2020
the computer just died last night, gave me a blue screen and then wouldnt come back on, its back on now though just loaded like nothing happened. the motherboard sais its running at 17c right now. the only other odd thing was that the date said it was 2010, and i had to change the date to current to load any programs

Sep 7, 2020
i feel lucky that the computer is on right now, what do we think team? i need to load this dump, im going to try to use googledrive as a third party outlet to look at the latest dump. tbh i thought it was the heatsink that was leaking leaked onto the processor and burned it, but i dont think it would live thru water damage. also i ran it for 3 hours with no leak before putting it together, so maybe thats not it. I gotta get this googledrive dump for you all

TRENDING THREADS