[SOLVED] I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card to a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

Sep 15, 2019
I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card. Currently I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980. I am kind of a noob on that regard so I am wondering if my Specs will suffice when I am getting a relatively modern one or if I should be thinking about getting a whole new PC in the future as a better investment.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 (MS-7817)

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
That really good actually :D. I didn't expect someone in an US Forum knowing some German ^^. Thank you so much for already comparing so many prices for me. You have been so helpful in such a short amount of time. I am glad I asked or otherwise I would have probably just replaced the GPU and never thought about replacing a potentially damaging PSU. I will take one of your recommandations for sure. So when I replaced the PSU I will be good to go for a RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti I assume? Or is there anything else I should consider?
I'm UK actually! There are a few of us knocking about, a few Australians too!

Yes absolutely you'll be good.
And to clarify, would a new GPU have worked with your current PSU? Yes.
But would...
Sep 15, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

The 4790K is still decent enough for 1080p gaming, it is showing its age but there's nothing wrong with upgrading the GPU then the CPU later as the GPU will be cross transferable.

What is your PSU make and model?

Really good question. Is there a way to check that without opening the PC? Sorry. I am really a noob on that front.

Sep 15, 2019
Unfotunately no.
Would have to take the side panel off and read the label.

Long story short, if you have a poor quality PSU, you may want to upgrade that as well :)
Last thing you'd want to do is upgrade components for a PSU to wipe them out.

Ok. So I checked and what I found was Inter Tech Argus APS-720W.

Sep 15, 2019

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are you able to stretch your budget $80 more for the GPU. You can get a 2060 for $330 USD.

As for the PSU take a look at the EVGA ones. The 750w version I think is around $120 USD
Thanks. I will check that one out.
Sorry, have to disagree.
Depends which EVGA - EVGA make a TON of trash

Quality can be about adequate protections (OVP, UVP, OCP etc.), ripple suppression / voltage regulation, stress testing, capacitor quality, efficiency and more.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The supernova g3.
Fair enough - agreed - the G3 is decent enough, although even the G2 and G1+ were probably better built strangely!

750W is excessive for a 1660 Ti. Being as it can run on a good quality 450W. A 550W would be more than enough with headroom. based on current pricing, some 650W work out better value.

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $84.98 - 10 year warranty

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.90 - 7 year warranty

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $89.89 - 10 year warranty

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.00 - 5 year warranty.

If you want budget friendly but still good quality (not necessarily as good as above, but still decent and excellent value for money):

Power Supply:
Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $72.89 - 5 year warranty

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99 - 5 year warranty

:)

Sep 15, 2019
Fair enough - agreed - the G3 is decent enough, although even the G2 and G1+ were probably better built strangely!

750W is excessive for a 1660 Ti. Being as it can run on a good quality 450W. A 550W would be more than enough with headroom. based on current pricing, some 650W work out better value.

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $84.98 - 10 year warranty

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.90 - 7 year warranty

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $89.89 - 10 year warranty

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.00 - 5 year warranty.

If you want budget friendly but still good quality (not necessarily as good as above, but still decent and excellent value for money):

Power Supply:
Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $72.89 - 5 year warranty

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99 - 5 year warranty

:)

Wow. That are a lot of useful recommendations very quickly. Thank you so much :). I will definitely check that out. I think my current PSU is from 2016. Can you explain why you think it is so bad? Considering the wattage you mention above 720W sounds fine. Is it of poor quality?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wow. That are a lot of useful recommendations very quickly. Thank you so much :). I will definitely check that out. I think my current PSU is from 2016. Can you explain why you think it is so bad? Considering the wattage you mention above 720W sounds fine. Is it of poor quality?
Almost undoubtedly poor quality. But I am technically speculating, but here's why:

- Red flag 1 is that I genuinely can't find any reputable reviews of the PSU (technical reviews, not user reviews) which either means it's that bad, or they aren't really a big enough player to warrant one of those reviews.

- Red flag 2 is that it is high wattage, at low cost. Cheap PSU = Cheap Parts = Lower quality = Risk.

- Red flag 3 is I've never known Inter tech make a good PSU!

You'd be amazed how commonly we are helping people get over the fact that their PSU blew and took out their GPU / MB for example.

Reactions: LeviHeichou
Sep 15, 2019
Almost undoubtedly poor quality. But I am technically speculating, but here's why:

- Red flag 1 is that I genuinely can't find any reputable reviews of the PSU (technical reviews, not user reviews) which either means it's that bad, or they aren't really a big enough player to warrant one of those reviews.

- Red flag 2 is that it is high wattage, at low cost. Cheap PSU = Cheap Parts = Lower quality = Risk.

- Red flag 3 is I've never known Inter tech make a good PSU!

You'd be amazed how commonly we are helping people get over the fact that their PSU blew and took out their GPU / MB for example.

By no means I would question your expertise ^^. I will definitely replace it then. I checked and it is really cheap which is strange compared to the others.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
By no means I would question your expertise ^^. I will definitely replace it then. I checked and it is really cheap which is strange compared to the others.
Unfortunately the market is full of them. EVGA making quite a lot too!
Any brand is usually better than completely unbranded, but all PSUs have a shelf life and when it comes to poor quality PSUs it's arguably not down to IF they blow, it's WHEN, and WHEN the blow, they have a nasty tendency to take out other components (usually your GPU).

Thus why as pedantic as it may seem, the last thing I'd ever want you to do is upgrade your GPU, for a bad PSU to take it out, because whatever warranty a PSU gives (even some of the best quality typical ones like Seasonic FOCUS Plus, Corsair RMx etc.) they don't cover any other damaged components :) but the better quality ones will protect the rest of your system.

Also what is your opinion on upgrading to a 2060 for $330 USD instead as mentioned above?
Being as they're usually the same price, I'd opt for a RX5700 or RX5700XT (for a bit more but then you'd probably find the CPU being held back depending on the application). But the 2060 is also good :)

Sep 15, 2019
Unfortunately the market is full of them. EVGA making quite a lot too!
Any brand is usually better than completely unbranded, but all PSUs have a shelf life and when it comes to poor quality PSUs it's arguably not down to IF they blow, it's WHEN, and WHEN the blow, they have a nasty tendency to take out other components (usually your GPU).

Thus why as pedantic as it may seem, the last thing I'd ever want you to do is upgrade your GPU, for a bad PSU to take it out, because whatever warranty a PSU gives (even some of the best quality typical ones like Seasonic FOCUS Plus, Corsair RMx etc.) they don't cover any other damaged components :) but the better quality ones will protect the rest of your system.

Being as they're usually the same price, I'd opt for a RX5700 or RX5700XT (for a bit more but then you'd probably find the CPU being held back depending on the application). But the 2060 is also good :)

Thanks very much ^^. Another question after checking out one of your PSU advises. Shouldn't I get a Corsair RM750 instead of the 650 when it is only like 6€ more here? (living in Europe ^^).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it is, then by all means, it leaves you room to upgrade to ultra high end.
But if you don't plan on that, there really is no need, it will just be sitting idle.

However the RMx is better than the standard RM. So depending on your local prices it could be better. What part of europe?

Common good choices:
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold
  • Corsair RMx
  • Corsair TMx
  • Seasonic FOCUS
  • EVGA Supernova G
  • be Quiet Dark Power Pro
  • Bitfenix Formula or Whisper Gold
  • Seasonic PRIME

amongst more :)

Sep 15, 2019
If it is, then by all means, it leaves you room to upgrade to ultra high end.
But if you don't plan on that, there really is no need, it will just be sitting idle.

However the RMx is better than the standard RM. So depending on your local prices it could be better. What part of europe?

Common good choices:
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold
  • Corsair RMx
  • Corsair TMx
  • Seasonic FOCUS
  • EVGA Supernova G
  • be Quiet Dark Power Pro
  • Bitfenix Formula or Whisper Gold
  • Seasonic PRIME
amongst more :)

Germany :). So excuse any spelling or grammar errors because English is not my mother language ^^. I will check out different PSUs depending on the local prices. So do you think if I replace the PSU and get the RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti I will be good to go for now?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hallo meine Freund! Ihr Englisch ist ausgezeichnet aber meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut.

Forgive me, I haven't practiced at all in a while!

Well having a look - the TXM and Leadex III are good prices compared to alternatives at the moment:

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€74.92 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €74.92

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€85.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €85.90

There is also:

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€69.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €69.90

Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€77.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €77.33

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€88.00 @ ARLT)
Total: €88.00

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€92.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €92.90

Just for consideration :)

Sep 15, 2019
Hallo meine Freund! Ihr Englisch ist ausgezeichnet aber meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut.

Forgive me, I haven't practiced at all in a while!

Well having a look - the TXM and Leadex III are good prices compared to alternatives at the moment:

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€74.92 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €74.92

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€85.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €85.90

There is also:

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€69.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €69.90

Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€77.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €77.33

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€88.00 @ ARLT)
Total: €88.00

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€92.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €92.90

Just for consideration :)

That was really good actually :D. I didn't expect someone in an US Forum knowing some German ^^. Thank you so much for already comparing so many prices for me. You have been so helpful in such a short amount of time. I am glad I asked or otherwise I would have probably just replaced the GPU and never thought about replacing a potentially damaging PSU. I will take one of your recommandations for sure. So when I have replaced the PSU I will be good to go for a RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti I assume? Or is there anything else I should consider?

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That really good actually :D. I didn't expect someone in an US Forum knowing some German ^^. Thank you so much for already comparing so many prices for me. You have been so helpful in such a short amount of time. I am glad I asked or otherwise I would have probably just replaced the GPU and never thought about replacing a potentially damaging PSU. I will take one of your recommandations for sure. So when I replaced the PSU I will be good to go for a RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti I assume? Or is there anything else I should consider?
I'm UK actually! There are a few of us knocking about, a few Australians too!

Yes absolutely you'll be good.
And to clarify, would a new GPU have worked with your current PSU? Yes.
But would it be a safe idea? Not really. and that's the basis of it, which unfortunately not everyone believes!

That and if you go one of the ones I recommended like the RM, FOCUS Plus etc, you're guaranteeing yourself for 10 years! I currently use the Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold.

Solution