[SOLVED] I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card to a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 15, 2019
I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card. Currently I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980. I am kind of a noob on that regard so I am wondering if my Specs will suffice when I am getting a relatively modern one or if I should be thinking about getting a whole new PC in the future as a better investment.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 (MS-7817)

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
That really good actually :D. I didn't expect someone in an US Forum knowing some German ^^. Thank you so much for already comparing so many prices for me. You have been so helpful in such a short amount of time. I am glad I asked or otherwise I would have probably just replaced the GPU and never thought about replacing a potentially damaging PSU. I will take one of your recommandations for sure. So when I replaced the PSU I will be good to go for a RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti I assume? Or is there anything else I should consider?
I'm UK actually! There are a few of us knocking about, a few Australians too!

Yes absolutely you'll be good.
And to clarify, would a new GPU have worked with your current PSU? Yes.
But would...
Sep 15, 2019
I'm UK actually! There are a few of us knocking about, a few Australians too!

Yes absolutely you'll be good.
And to clarify, would a new GPU have worked with your current PSU? Yes.
But would it be a safe idea? Not really. and that's the basis of it, which unfortunately not everyone believes!

That and if you go one of the ones I recommended like the RM, FOCUS Plus etc, you're guaranteeing yourself for 10 years! I currently use the Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold.

Ah UK. That makes a little more sense then ^^. We are closer geographically after all.

And it is better to be safe than sorry. I saw that 10 year guaranty too on amazon and that is a really big argument for switching out the PSU. Thank you so much for your enormous and quick help. My question was definitely answered :).

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah UK. That makes a little more sense then ^^. We are closer geographically after all.

And it is better to be safe than sorry. I saw that 10 year guaranty too on amazon and that is a really big argument for switching out the PSU. Thank you so much for your enormous and quick help. My question was definitely answered :).
I guess the last thing just for awareness is double check what PCIE power connectors the GPU you get needs and verify the PSU has those connections.

The PSUs I linked would be fine for most GPUs, just if you happened to go a more power hungry one, you'll just want to double check.

Good quality PSUs typically always have the adequate connections when they're powerful enough to run said card.

For example the TXm I linked has 2 * 6+2 pcie pins, which is 2*8pins which should be more than needed for the cards your looking at.

You can find the number of connections on the links I provided :)

Sep 15, 2019
I guess the last thing just for awareness is double check what PCIE power connectors the GPU you get needs and verify the PSU has those connections.

The PSUs I linked would be fine for most GPUs, just if you happened to go a more power hungry one, you'll just want to double check.

Good quality PSUs typically always have the adequate connections when they're powerful enough to run said card.

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to double check that :).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSUs are ATX standardised unless you have a proprietary PSU. which you tend to only get in OEM Pre built PCs

Basically any ATX PSU will fit into any ATX case, the exclusions being proprietary or small form factor PSUs which are for Small form factor cases.

Sep 15, 2019
PSUs are ATX standardised unless you have a proprietary PSU. which you tend to only get in OEM Pre built PCs

Basically any ATX PSU will fit into any ATX case, the exclusions being proprietary or small form factor PSUs which are for Small form factor cases.

That is good to know. I was just mentioning it because one of the PSUs was about 10 cm longer than my current one but judging by the empty space in my case even that would still fit.

Sep 15, 2019
One other thing I stumbled upon. There are very many manufacturers of the 1660 Ti I now decided on. Any recommandation which one to buy? I found PNY, MSI, ASUS, KFA2 etc. and am kind of lost on where the differences are or what version exactly to get.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Realistically the differences are down to factory OC and Cooling.

The chips underneath them are the same, but the manufacturer then maybe puts an overclock on it, then their own cooling.

In reality I would stick to reputable brands, and the one that has the best cooling to suit your needs. For this you would have to find individual models and check reviews.

I would stay towards Asus or MSI, I've never heard of KFA myself. All I would say, it you can't really go wrong with any of them, just stick to a reputable manufacturer and one with decent enough cooling if you have high room temps(avoid blower style coolers if you can).

If you don't have high ambient temperatures, then you can't go wrong with any reputable brand, it's the same GPU chipset at the core of it.

Sep 15, 2019
Realistically the differences are down to factory OC and Cooling.

The chips underneath them are the same, but the manufacturer then maybe puts an overclock on it, then their own cooling.

In reality I would stick to reputable brands, and the one that has the best cooling to suit your needs. For this you would have to find individual models and check reviews.

I would stay towards Asus or MSI, I've never heard of KFA myself. All I would say, it you can't really go wrong with any of them, just stick to a reputable manufacturer and one with decent enough cooling if you have high room temps(avoid blower style coolers if you can).

If you don't have high ambient temperatures, then you can't go wrong with any reputable brand, it's the same GPU chipset at the core of it.

I have read that KFA2 is a sister bran of Galax/Galaxy. Not sure if that is any good though. I didn't stumble upon a blower style cooler yet I think. All I saw was open air/fan which is good I think.