[SOLVED] I am tired of trying to game at 4k!

It seems like a losing battle. I have had to get the fastest gpu I could afford for the last 6 years. So I have made a decision to sell my RTX 3070 and my 4k monitor to get an RTX 3060 and a 1080p monitor. I just don't know if I will be happy with that. And I only have the 3070 because I can't find anything better.

Solution
You may be better suited to sell the 4K monitor and get a 2K monitor with higher refresh rate and keep the RTX 3070 for a better gaming experience. 1080p is still driven by your CPU more then you GPU. As for 4K, you really need a RTX 3080 or higher to get a good experience, if you are wanting the eye-candy / higher FPS.

You will have a hard time even finding the RTX 3060 but of course you will come out well ahead in $$$ for what you can sell the 3070 and buy the 3060, so you might be able to upgrade other components if needed.

tecmo34

Administrator
You may be better suited to sell the 4K monitor and get a 2K monitor with higher refresh rate and keep the RTX 3070 for a better gaming experience. 1080p is still driven by your CPU more then you GPU. As for 4K, you really need a RTX 3080 or higher to get a good experience, if you are wanting the eye-candy / higher FPS.

You will have a hard time even finding the RTX 3060 but of course you will come out well ahead in $$$ for what you can sell the 3070 and buy the 3060, so you might be able to upgrade other components if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

It seems like a losing battle. I have had to get the fastest gpu I could afford for the last 6 years. So I have made a decision to sell my RTX 3070 and my 4k monitor to get an RTX 3060 and a 1080p monitor. I just don't know if I will be happy with that. And I only have the 3070 because I can't find anything better.

At 4K ultra, the 3070 averages 68 fps across our nine-game suite. That's good, but four of the games are below 60 fps, while two of the games run at more than 100 fps, somewhat skewing the results. 4K60 is within reach of the 3070, just not at maxed-out settings in all games.

Tom's 3070 review

So my question is... what kind of 4K gaming are you expecting?

larsv8

Distinguished
Seems silly to me to trade in hardware.

Just run at lower settings / resolutions.

Also I would recommend reading game setting optimizers. Youtubers test the individual graphic settings and how they affect performance. Sometimes certain settings cause massive FPS losses for little to no visual improvement.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Agreed with the above... ^

... and OP... even with a 3090 and 10900k running ultra settings I don't see 4K 60 all that often on AAA titles. Very rarely in fact. Is what it is. Eye candy is eye candy and as good as some of these new AAA games look (MSFS 2020, Hitman 3, Medium) I don't see 60 fps in any of them.

D

Deleted member 2838871

The main reason I wanna sell the RTX 3070 is because I can get a lot of money out of it. I know I can keep the RTX 3070 and play at lower settings and be fine. I just wanted the money I could get from selling it and I'm weighing my options.

Cool... I see that 3090's are selling for close to $3000 on eBay.

It will improve your 4K experience. If you're interested in mine, let me know. Given the going rate I'd consider it... maybe $1500 and your 3070? :LOL:

The main reason I wanna sell the RTX 3070 is because I can get a lot of money out of it. I know I can keep the RTX 3070 and play at lower settings and be fine. I just wanted the money I could get from selling it and I'm weighing my options.
If you need the money now, then sure. But if you're just looking to grab some extra cash, then keep the card and just work around with what you have. I'd argue if you go down to a 3060, you'll probably start running into performance hiccups sooner than later and you wish you had the 3070.

Depending on the display size 4K is kinda pointless. 1440p is perfectly fine most of the time while taking less to drive and allowing for higher refresh rates

Reactions: Dj0gany