[SOLVED] I am transferring 105,000 jpg's (about 120 gb) from point A to point B on the hard drive. Taking almost 24 hours. 32gb RAM, pretty decent (as of 16 mo

Nov 22, 2019
I am transferring 105,000 jpg's (about 120 gb) from point A to point B on the hard drive. Taking almost 24 hours. 32gb RAM, pretty decent (as of 16 months ago) 7 series processor. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Solution
How are you moving them makes a difference.

If being done on the same drive then:
Copy & paste will take a long time as the drive will need to read & write the actual data.
Cut & paste is much much quicker; the drive just needs to rewrite the table of contents to say these files are now in this folder.

As always, make sure you have a valid backup esp before doing things with your data.
For example; I would never use Cut & Paste to move files from one drive to another, if the paste fails and your file buffer corrupts during the transfer, all those files will need to be recovered. Copy & paste, verify the files after the transfer, then delete source when all is good.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Windows and small files don't get along, so basically you want a tool that will just grab the bits and move them. Plenty out there.

Defragmenting the drive prior to this may also help.

popatim

Titan
How are you moving them makes a difference.

If being done on the same drive then:
Copy & paste will take a long time as the drive will need to read & write the actual data.
Cut & paste is much much quicker; the drive just needs to rewrite the table of contents to say these files are now in this folder.

As always, make sure you have a valid backup esp before doing things with your data.
For example; I would never use Cut & Paste to move files from one drive to another, if the paste fails and your file buffer corrupts during the transfer, all those files will need to be recovered. Copy & paste, verify the files after the transfer, then delete source when all is good.

Reactions: Sukka
Solution