[SOLVED] I am unable to boot from usb to install windows 10 on a sabertooth x58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2020
I was given this computer away. The only thing that was taken out was the hard drive, so I went ahead and bought an SSD from Micro Center, I install the media tool to install windows 10 but it wasn’t booting from the usb. I tried to search for answers but none had helped. Tried Rufus, the Usb was set to be the first boot drive, and I’m not sure what to do anymore.

The specs of the computer is
Core i7 990x
Asus Sabertooth x58
26Gb of Ram (6x4GB at 1600Mhz each)
GeFroce GT 520 1GB
Cooler Master 600W power supply
And a 256GB SSD that I bought

any reason why I am unable to boot from the usb and install windows 10?

Also I have went and press F8 to give me an option to where to boot and I click on the USB and it was sitting in a black screen but windows logo will show for second and then back to black screen

Solution
Okay I’m not sure what happened but here’s what I did, so I put the usb in the front and press f8 during post and I chose usb as boot. It was black screen and windows logo loaded for a second again, and I just left it there in black screen, I felt like giving up. I waited about 2 or 3 minutes just messing around with the keyboard and I look at the screen and windows logo pops up and now is able to download windows, so what I’m guessing is that you just have to give it time and wait since it will take a while to load
Oct 11, 2020
is legacy USB support set to AUTO? It should be by default. see page 3-26 of your manual

motherboard manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1366/Sabertooth_X58/e5995_sabertooth_X58.pdf

I couldn't find much, i don't suppose you have a optical drive (DVD player) as it might work better. I have seen other people on here with same Motherboard install via USB.

DO you have newest BIOS?

when I go into BIOS the legecy is set to auto , and the computer does have an optical drive but have nothing to nein a DVD with

Oct 11, 2020
Try format the usb stick as fat32 prior to having media creation tool set it up with the install files.

so I think I messed up the USB, should of deleted the rofus before I formatted. Well I formatted it and then went ahead and did the media tool and when it was doing that it got an error half way through the process, I will try to fix the usb

Oct 11, 2020
so I think I messed up the USB, should of deleted the rofus before I formatted. Well I formatted it and then went ahead and did the media tool and when it was doing that it got an error half way through the process, I will try to fix the usb

okay I got it fixed so now I will try to do the media tool windows 10 into the usb, the format is FAT32

Oct 11, 2020
if you cant get your pc running properly use another pc to create a media tool and during the process choose the option to install on another pc.

I can get it running properly is that whenever it boots it goes through the USB first and then the SSD and that’s when it tells me “Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”
I have quick boot enable but even if I have it disable it will go through the USB but it will have a black screen and then show the windows logo for a second and then go back to black

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I can get it running properly is that whenever it boots it goes through the USB first and then the SSD and that’s when it tells me “Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”
I have quick boot enable but even if I have it disable it will go through the USB but it will have a black screen and then show the windows logo for a second and then go back to black

What do you mean can get it running properly? Does the install actually begin to load files? If it's doing this and once it reboots, have you tried removing the usb stick at this point so Windows can start the next phase?

Oct 11, 2020
What do you mean can get it running properly? Does the install actually begin to load files? If it's doing this and once it reboots, have you tried removing the usb stick at this point so Windows can start the next phase?

whenever I turn it on it goes to post and after that it goes into a black screen saying I need to plug a Booting Media, meaning it goes to the SSD instead of the USB. But I’m the BIOS the USB is the first thing to boot and last is the SSD. But even when I disable Quick Boot, when it boots to the USB it’s a black screen and then for a second it shows the window screen and back to black screen

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. Grasping at straws here, where is the ssd connected? Sata 1 or Sata6G-1? Try connect ssd to Sata 1 which is the most upper port towards the top near cha_fan 3 header.

Make sure to configure sata controller to ahci too for the ssd.

Try usb ports at the back of the computer.

Oct 11, 2020
Hmm. Grasping at straws here, where is the ssd connected? Sata 1 or Sata6G-1? Try connect ssd to Sata 1 which is the most upper port towards the top near cha_fan 3 header.

Make sure to configure sata controller to ahci too for the ssd.

Try usb ports at the back of the computer.

I will try it out! Hope it works

Oct 11, 2020
I keep seeing the same results, the SSD is placed on SATA 1 and is set to AHCI, the usb is in the back of the motherboard, it keeps saying “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key”

Oct 11, 2020
Okay I’m not sure what happened but here’s what I did, so I put the usb in the front and press f8 during post and I chose usb as boot. It was black screen and windows logo loaded for a second again, and I just left it there in black screen, I felt like giving up. I waited about 2 or 3 minutes just messing around with the keyboard and I look at the screen and windows logo pops up and now is able to download windows, so what I’m guessing is that you just have to give it time and wait since it will take a while to load

Solution
Oct 11, 2020
Hmm makes sense. Don't remember having to wait that long but guess every system is different. Possibly something wrong with the usb stick. Anyhow, fingers crossed you can get past this.

was able to install windows and now I have windows 10 on a 10 year old pc lol time to sell it to a friend of mine that can’t afford brand new parts at the moment. I will see what kind of graphics card I should update it with

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh great :) Using the primary sata controller would have been better anyway if you made this change. 3rd party controllers can sometimes be flaky. Also ahci mode is a must for SSDs.

Probably 1660 super. Im running a GTX 1070 on my 920 rig fine without compatibility issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.