Question I am upgrading my CPU and MOBO. Anything I should know?

Jicksi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
I have purchased a new CPU and MOBO and I just want to know if their is something that I need to know in terms of software that may happen when making this upgrade, or will it just be Ok other than obviously getting the proper drivers and bios.

Colif

Win 11 Master

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Will fresh installing Windows 10 delete all the content om my C/ drive?
Yes, if this is where you are installing windows to again.
A clean install is absolutely best practice so you don't carry over residual junk and potential conflict files over to new hardware.

You can clone, just clean install is better.

If it's a new motherboard, whilst it's not necessary, it may be worth seeing if it has the additional 4 / 8 pin CPU power and if your PSU supplies it.

Jicksi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
Yes, if this is where you are installing windows to again.
A clean install is absolutely best practice so you don't carry over residual junk and potential conflict files over to new hardware.

You can clone, just clean install is better.

If it's a new motherboard, whilst it's not necessary, it may be worth seeing if it has the additional 4 / 8 pin CPU power and if your PSU supplies it.

I am sorry, but why should I check for an additional 4/8 pin connector?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am sorry, but why should I check for an additional 4/8 pin connector?
Just saying as I don't know what MB you have purchased. Many newer boards come with an additional 4/8pin CPU power connector. Which many older or weaker PSU's do not have.

The additional pins aren't essential, but some boards play a little difficult without it.

Just stating it in case it wasn't noticed as I don't know your system spec.