[SOLVED] I am upgrading my CPU and motherboard, should I reset my drivers.

Apr 11, 2020
I am getting a new motherboard the MSI Z390-A PRO and I am getting the Intel i7-9700k for my CPU.

Will I need to reinstall windows and if so will I need to backup or reset everything from my drivers to avoid complications.

Please help if you can it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Solution
What are your current hardware specifications and model numbers? That is what will tell us if doing a clean install will be necessary. Simply upgrading drivers might be possible if the chipsets are very similar, but in most cases when you do a complete change of platform it is almost imperative that you do a complete clean install of Windows if you want to avoid having myriad small and unresolvable issues. In some cases, without doing a clean install, the system won't even boot or if it does it will throw constant BSOD and error screens. And then in some cases Windows will easily reconfigure itself.

We generally RECOMMEND a clean install ANY time there is a total platform change, but knowing what you have now will tell the tale, so to...
What are your current hardware specifications and model numbers? That is what will tell us if doing a clean install will be necessary. Simply upgrading drivers might be possible if the chipsets are very similar, but in most cases when you do a complete change of platform it is almost imperative that you do a complete clean install of Windows if you want to avoid having myriad small and unresolvable issues. In some cases, without doing a clean install, the system won't even boot or if it does it will throw constant BSOD and error screens. And then in some cases Windows will easily reconfigure itself.

We generally RECOMMEND a clean install ANY time there is a total platform change, but knowing what you have now will tell the tale, so to speak.

Also, is your current Windows installation attached to a Microsoft account, that in turn is attached to YOU? Because if not, that is the FIRST order of business.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Here is my suggestion. Some may come in and strongly disagree but it's worth trying.

Win10 handles platform changes better than any other version of windows. So here is what I suggest. First, back up any important files. All those family photos, prior tax returns, etc should go on a thumb drive or a spinning disk that isn't attached to the system. Then make the win10 install files just in case. Once you've got everything backed up go ahead and do the swap. Pay attention to drive order as they plug into the old board.

When you put the new board in, make sure to attach the drives in the same order. Then give it a shot. At best it will take awhile and finally work. At worse it will try and fail. If it works, use it for a week and make sure it's all good. If you encounter any errors you can't fix by updating drivers go ahead and reinstall. Trying doesn't take a lot of time and might work. If it doesn't, at least you have the backups so you don't loose any important data. Windows doesn't REQUIRE you to reinstall. I have done myself platform changes and seen it work.

You have made ZERO mention of what your current hardware consists of, so it's pretty much impossible to say how good your chances are to be able to avoid having to do a clean install or what you should do in terms of trying to avoid having to do one. It's the primary thing I asked about. Any recommendations made without knowing those details, are just guesses in the dark. It's still guesses even knowing what you have, but at least it's EDUCATED guesses, based on what we've seen a hundred times before.