I am upgrading my Graphics Card and need Pro advice.

Jinchu84

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hi,

As I mentioned, I am hoping to upgrade my GPU soon but I am unsure as to what I am capable off in regards to motherboard size and CPU. I am also currently limited by my power supply which is only 420W. I may upgrade that it depends on my options and budget.

Current GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
CPU is Intel core i5-3470 @ 3.20 ghz
Mobo is Asus p8z77-v LX
Power supply is 420W
8GB of RAM

I have looked around the forums but I am still unsure of my options.

I am looking at maybe a GeForce GTX 960, if that would work? It mentioned in the specs on the GeForce website it only needs 400W minimum power for that GPU.

Please let me know if that card is suitable, or if I can go better. Also what I am able to get if I get a larger power supply, and what size power supply i'd need.

Thank you in advance guys. I love Tech Gurus you run the whole world, keep up the good work!

- Jinchu

Solution

ahmyday

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
400W is the bare-minimum. the GTX 960 will work on a 400w PSU but it has to be of high quality. also, you'll be left with little headroom if you are on a 400-420w PSU if it's paired with a 960.

Get the GTX 950 if you can, it requires less power.

Jinchu84

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hey ahmyday, thanks for your answer!

The GTX 950 sounds fine to me, and makes sense with a smaller power supply. So does this mean there is no issue with bottleneck on my CPU or physical size of my motherboard? I am still unsure how these things work.

And also, if I were to obtain a larger power supply what would my CPU be capable of supporting? Would it drive a 980??

Thank you
- Jinchu

EDIT: Ohh, never mind about the 980 question. I have just grabbed a tape measure and it seems that I am limited by the size of my case. I would even be pushing it to fit the GTX 960 in there if it is 9.5 inches as it says on GeForce website. Seems like the 950 is my only option at this stage. Although I would still be thankful if someone could answer my question about what the rest of my kit is capable of if I obtained a larger Power Supply and case. Thanks.

ahmyday

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

Here's the thing. most i5s are able to drive current gen high end cards, the problem lies in how quickly older platforms the i5s are on get outdated when new processors and hardware architecture changes, hence the need for platform changes (like upgrading from sandy bridge to skylake)

As per your question regarding the 980, yes your CPU is still capable of driving current high end GPUs However, I wouldn't recommend put your money on other parts for your current platform as it is getting outdated.
If I were you, I'd consider moving to Skylake by buying parts progressively.

The GTX 980 TDP is 250W, minimum required PSU for it is a 600W stated by Nvidia.

If you were to stick to the 750 and upgrade later on for a 980, I will recommend these PSUs

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply (SS-650KM Active PFC F3)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&cm_re=SS-650KM_Active_PFC_F3-_-17-151-088-_-Product

XFX TS Edition PRO650W SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply (P1-650S-NLB9)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014&cm_re=P1-650S-NLB9-_-17-207-014-_-Product

Fractal Design Integra R2 500W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply (FD-PSU-IN2B-500W) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817580002

Hope this clears up your confusion
Let me know if you have any questions

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

that cpu is still very good, if you got a decent 500w or better power supply you could easily have a gtx 970 no problems.

this one would fit no problem, a bit over 8 inches

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362&cm_re=Zotac_ZT-90101-10P-_-14-500-362-_-Product

with this power supply for example, has a 15% off code CYBERBLKGOBBLE

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PSS12II520&c=CJ

Jinchu84

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Hey thanks man I have a better general idea now of what I a can or should do. I've decided to just get a GeForce GTX 950 for now as that is all I can afford immediatly, but I am going to save and start building a whole new rig with newer technology. Larger case, more power, new gen Skylake processor and so on.

Thank you both so much for the help I am very grateful, I just have one more tiny question regarding what you said ahmyday

How would gradually upgrading my PC affect my operating system? (Windows 10). Like, if I were to just throw a new GPU in now, then in a few months a larger power supply and case, then shortly after that an even better Mobo, CPU, then a better GPU etc. Adding as money becomes available, will windows disagree with me on that? Or should I just save up, and get everything at once? And even then would I be able to still use my current HDD with its windows 10 OS or do I need to get a new OS?

Cheers.

ahmyday

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

You can change your PSU, GPU, CPU (Has to be the same socket), RAM (Has to be the same type like DDR3) without affecting your OS however, you'll need the newer DDR4 RAM (won't support your current build). As for the GPU, you will have to install drivers obviously and with the CPU, you are moving to new platform so you won't be able to install it on your current rig. the only component which requires you to clean install an OS is changing the motherboard.

Buy the Mobo, CPU, Ram first as those are the key components, which will also get your new build up and running. (assuming you will switch your PSU, GPU to the new build)