Question I am upgrading my ram and hdd to better one. Needing suggestions

Nov 1, 2022
Hi there,
I want to upgrade my laptop (LENOVO B570e) Huronriver platform with an SSD and ram. The device is running chrome os flex but I don't like it very much and want to install windows 10.
The laptop's current config is 2 GB ram (1033mhz), 320 GB WDblue HDD (7200rpm) and intel i3 2310M @ 2.10 GHz.
I want to upgrade my ram to Kingston 4GB DDR3 Laptop RAM (1600mhz) I know my laptop has a dual-core CPU so the ram will function at 1033MHz.
The SSD options for me are as follows:
(storage capacity isn't a problem for me and a 128GB SSD would be enough for me as I will be using my HDD in my optical drive.)
* HikVision E100 SSD 128GB SSD (Chinese brand so uhh )
  • Lexar NS100 128GB SSD (not sure)
  • WD SSD 120GB Green (pretty bad reviews on here and on amazon)
  • PNY CS900 120GB SSD (not sure)

I have seen people saying that wd blue will be better than wd green but its price is so high and I can't find it with 128 GB capacity.
I want to get suggestions on which SSD will be better in the long term. The usage of the device is pretty low like watching videos on YouTube and some document editing.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your laptop has an HM65 chipset, that can only go as far as DDR3-1333MHz,. now depending on other brands, you could drop in a DDR3-1600MHz ram stick/kit and it'll downclock to DDR3-1333MHz but chances are your laptop might not like to work with higher clocked rams. I've faced the issue previously with laptops of this era. I've had some good results with G.Skill DDR3-1600MHz laptop rams, since they tend to work with pretty much any laptop, unless the BIOS on said laptop is messed up beyond recovery.

You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version though, prior to adding ram. As a side note, please don't mix and match rams, if you want to upgrade your ram to the maximum of 8GB, then look into a 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz 1.5v SO-DIMM ram kit. Adding any higher capacity ram is moot, it won't work.

Per your SSD topic, you're wasting any and/or all resource s looking at a 120GB/128GB SSD, if you must look at an SSD that has at least 250GB/256GB. If you're indeed located in Pakistan, you could also look into Transcend's SSD230S.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022
I will be using single-stick ram cuz the device has a single ram slot. Will the downclock affect my performance a lot or minor? And on the topic of SSD, Could you try rephrasing? Please explain as I am not using my machine in heavy workloads. The SSD you mention is pretty expensive and wouldn't fit in my budget. I will be using an HDD caddy to reuse my old hard disk.
I am indeed based in Pakistan.
Edit: I found a Kingston SSD A400(120GB) will I still waste my resources? And please specify that what you mean my resoures. And yeah I am tight on my budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
So your laptop has one slot? That meaning that you have 4GB of ram soldered onto the motherboard? The laptop's manual states it has 2 ram slots. If you're going to mix and match sticks of ram(i.e 2GB+4GB), you' might run into trouble.

Resource = time, money, effort, brain cells, white/gray hair on your head, stress on your heart. You should get an SSD that is half full after the OS and all your apps are installed. By tight, how tight is your budget? In retrospect, the amount of money you'd be spending on ram and SSD might not be worth it for that platform. Yes the SSD might make things seem fast, but your processor is not going to do you much good. Once you fill up the SSD to it's full capacity the speed of the SSD drops off, they can also be as slow as an USB 2.0 drive. how much of your C drive is occupied at this moment of time?

The SSD's you've picked out aren't good actually, hence why I said not to waste your resources. In hindsight, it's as if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel to get around to an SSD purchase.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022
So your laptop has one slot? That meaning that you have 4GB of ram soldered onto the motherboard? The laptop's manual states it has 2 ram slots. If you're going to mix and match sticks of ram(i.e 2GB+4GB), you' might run into trouble.

Resource = time, money, effort, brain cells, white/gray hair on your head, stress on your heart. You should get an SSD that is half full after the OS and all your apps are installed. By tight, how tight is your budget? In retrospect, the amount of money you'd be spending on ram and SSD might not be worth it for that platform. Yes the SSD might make things seem fast, but your processor is not going to do you much good. Once you fill up the SSD to it's full capacity the speed of the SSD drops off, they can also be as slow as an USB 2.0 drive. how much of your C drive is occupied at this moment of time?

The SSD's you've picked out aren't good actually, hence why I said not to waste your resources. In hindsight, it's as if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel to get around to an SSD purchase.
My laptop as only one ram slot and the ram isn't soldered to the device. See manual section (select models only). Will kingston 4gb ram one stick will work in my device at 1033 MHz.
The hdd is occupied at 50GB out of 320 GB total because I don't have a lot of doc,file,movies, music stuff in there. I usually throw these kinds of stuff in cloud. I founded a Kingston 240GB ssd which has a good TBW and 3D nand. The link is this. Kingston A400 240Gb sata. I want to that does my device support 3gb sata or 6gb sata. And is this a good ssd?

Lutfij

Titan
All of the SSD's you've listed are bad. Yet your budget dictates you can only afford them. Here I am stuck on whether to prevent you from wasting your money or to get onboard to a false idea that your platform (in it's current processor setup) will see an uplift with a ram and SSD upgrade. I'll side with the latter and give you a forewarning that the platform you're on won't be much in 2022(soon to be 2023). Regardless, it's your money, not ours. We just have an attitude on the forums to prevent people from investing on the wrong thing.

Yes the single stick of ram should work on the laptop, but please be sure to update your BIOS. Budget Kingston drives are actually rubbish, they're merely marketing fluff.

Nov 1, 2022
I did some research and I found that my laptop has a SATA 2 interface while I am purchasing a SATA 3 SSD. I have checked and made sure and I can't upgrade my BIOS anymore because there is no update of the BIOS. Are you trying to say that my laptop is pretty old and I should upgrade my CPU or I should just spend more and get a better machine when I have the amount to do it?
Lexar NS100 128GB SSD – 2.5 SATA III (6Gb/s) or ADATA SU650 120GB or
Transcend SSD220S.
Which one them is better? Tell me which one of there is more good.
Reference for comparison: https://versus.com/en/adata-ultimat...b-vs-lexar-ns100-2-5-128gb-vs-pny-cs900-120gb
View: https://imgur.com/AVxmOD0

Last edited: