[SOLVED] I am using Sata power to 6-pin should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2019
My PSU doesn’t have a 6 pin due to it being an OEM PSU but it is a 450watt PSU. I saw I could use a sata power to 6 pin and I’ve been using itmo problem. But is it hurtin my pc or is my PSU gonna explode?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Solution

Which GPU do you have?
Which PC model?
You PSU does not have a 6-pin...? 6-pin PCI-e, 6-pin 12V ATX?
If you are trying to use a SATA power to 6-pin PCI-e adapter to power a GPU, is not a good idea.
Your PSU does not have 6-pin PCI-e because is not able to deliver the power (AMPs or voltage or both) a GPU needs.
You could cause damage the PSU or the GPU or both.

I disagree partially.
If you know what your PSU can do and the power draw of the system then adapters are perfectly fine to use.

The 12V power draw ends up coming from the same source. I won't bother discussing how RAILS work but for this post the answer to should he be worried is:

MAYBE BUT NOT LIKELY.

The fact that the graphics card only has a 6-pin PCIe means it's not going to draw 150W of power. If we assume 350W as a worst-case for sustained power draw then you've got 200W for the rest of the system.

What's the CPU and do you overclock it?

Most modern CPU's use between 70 and 150W (including motherboard)… any modern Intel that's not overclockable should be fine. Some overclockables ones are also fine but it varies by the overclock. You'd have a major PROBLEM if it was an overclocked FX-8350 or FX-9590 or similar though.

**If there is any DOUBT though I'd buy a better power supply.**

Is this for a 6-Pin PCIE cable? The heart of the problem is that the SATA connector is rated for 54 watts total on the 12v lines (1.5 amps per pin x 3 pins x 12v = 54 watts) and a PCIE 6-pin is permitted to draw a total of 75 watts. If the device you have connected with this adapter fully utilizes the 75 watt spec, then you'll be smelling smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.