I am wanting to build my first gaming pc.But not sure on some parts

419Recon

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
I'm wanting it to be able to play all the new games coming out at close or on max settings. I have most my parts picked out just needs help on a few things. 1. I don't know what optical drive to get and I don't wanna spend more than I need to.
2. No idea what is a good gaming monitor for under $250.
3. Not sure if the psu is enough for if I want to overclock anything
4. Should I get more fans or no? I think the two should be enough but not sure
5. What's a good wireless adapter?
Sorry for all the questions!! Any help is appreciated!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jHPK23
Lemme know if there's any issues with my build or if you recommend I change anything.

-EDIT-
Updated link to my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zfwmFT

I would recommend this optical drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&cm_re=dvd_burner-_-27-135-204-_-Product

For a gaming monitor, this one is great. It is a bit over your price though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600030619%20600030958%204802&IsNodeId=1&name=Top%20Sellers

The 650 watt is at the bare minimum for that graphics card.

I would wait until you have some experience with the system before ordering more fans than the two you selected.

What kind of wireless adapter are you looking for?

1. Samsung or asus sata dvd burners will be $20. I have used both, and they work.
2. Me neither. IPS panels have better viewing angles, but tn panels are faster. Best to to a store and see which you like best.
3. PSU is fine. Overclocking adds little.
4. The case comes with adequate fans. See how you do first. Adding fans adds noise and expense.
5. I would use a card type instead of a usb dongle. One with a decent antenna might get etter signal strength.

Today, I would opt for a Z97 based motherboard. It is a more modern Z87 that gives you an upgrade option to broadwell. Some will come with wireless lan obviating the need for a discrete adapter.

The devil's canyon i5-4690K is due out 6/25. Since it will be the same price, I would opt for that.

I would use a noctua or Phanteks air cooler with a 140mm fan instead.
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Love the graphics card and the ssd.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Looks like a good build, would hold out for the 4690K and go with a Z97 mobo, something like the Asus Z97-A in that price range, (it's a great mobo, built one last week), the H80, will work, but a Hyper 212 EVO at $30-35 will cool better and for less + the DC K model CPUs will run cooler and the Z97 mobos DO run cooler, the Z97-A I built and the Z97 Hero I bought for myself both run cooler than the Z87 counterparts and OC better on less voltage. Would also guggest 1866/9 as a minimum for DRAM, 1600/9 is entry level and Haswell likes fast DRAM

419Recon

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Okay I changed some stuff around. I'll change the mobo to a z97 I just don't know which ones are compatible with my parts or which ones are good to get.
Second I plan to change the liquid cooler, but not sure if this will be as efficient; Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler, is there another cooler that you guys recommend?
For wireless adapter I want the card, not the USB.
Also on the fans I wasn't meaning to add more, I meant more to replace the case fans. From the build videos I've watched a lot of them recommend upgrading the fans to make them more efficient and in some cases quieter. Not sure if it was accurate or not.

419Recon

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Thanks changed to the NH-D15.
Can you recommend a good z97? I looked around and found a MSI and Asus but not sure which one's better.

419Recon

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Okay, changed the mobo. Thanks :)
@reesemonster; thanks! Ikr I at first had another SSD that was only 120GB then I found this one for about the same price so that was amazing :)
Anything else anyone recommends?

419Recon

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Actually I forgot about the wireless adapter.
I'd prefer to get one that goes into my mobo instead of USB. Would any work, or do I need to get one same make as my router? (It's a Motorola, it's the default one from ATT U verse I think.)

I am using this asus adapter with att uverse wireless modem.
Connection says 54mbps.
It seems to work fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074

Your build looks really good.

I would not bother with a anti static wrist strap. Just be careful and ground yourself to the case before you handle parts.
Handle parts so you do not touch the electrical contacts. That keeps them clean.

I find that a #2 magnetic head Phillips screwdriver is very helpful in assembling parts.

----------------good luck; enjoy----------------

419Recon

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Thanks.
I'd prefer to use the wrist strap since it's my first build I don't wanna take any chances.
I heard about the screw driver, I'll see if it's cheaper online or in a store.

Thanks guys for all the help, it's been really appreciated!!!

TRENDING THREADS