I apparently deleted something I needed because now on start up, I get "Init error: root element is missing"

krm27

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
(I actually have Win 8.1, not Win8, but I don't expect this is an OS-specific problem.)

I get a pop up window on start up with this error message. Here's a pic:

startuperror_zpsce71babd.png.html

My best guess -- and I'm not sure this is it -- is that one day my computer was laggy and I looked at the task manager and stopped / deleted some processes that looked to me like needless junk, and maybe I took something away that was needed? I don't know. I'm usually overly cautious in my computer clean up efforts, since I'm not really computer savvy, but regardless this error started popping up about a month ago.

Usually I'm in a hurry to do stuff when I log on, and the computer seems to work fine after giving me this error on start up, so I have just ignored it, to deal with later. A couple days ago, I decided to fix this once and for all, and tried to a system restore to my oldest restore point -- maybe 2 months back -- but I got an error message that that could not be competed. Which for all I know is related to this problem. Here's a pic of the system restore error message:

systemrestoreerror072614_zps7242d9b7.png.html

As for specs, my computer is a Sony Vaio laptop, about 5-6 years old, model VGN-FW270J, with intel core duo 2.26Ghz, 4Gb ram, and a new internal hard drive (about 9 months ago) with 512Gb, 5400rpm.

If anyone can tell me how to fix this error (or if it's not affecting anything, how to turn off the error pop up), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken