[SOLVED] I ask for help discovering the cause of my RX 5700 xt issues

Jan 10, 2021
I recently got rid of my rx 570 and upgraded to an RX 5700 xt but I have discovered issues that I do not know the cause of. This graphics card works fine until I launch a game, which after a few hours of playing or closing the game around 5-8 hours my system crashes and restarts

What I have done to try and fix it so far is DDU the drivers but this did nothing to alleviate the problem.

my specs are:
  • RX 5700 xt 8gb
  • AMD ryzen 2600 Six-core 3.4GHz
  • 16gb or ram
  • Windows 10 64x
  • asus prime b450-plus motherboard
  • I think 650watt power supply i do not remember the name
most or all radeon software features are disabled which affect performance
If someone knows the solution or to help me that will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Try leaving the 5700 XT's power limit at the default (50%, I believe) and see if the issue goes away. Unfortunately, The cooling requirements for the 5700 XT are a little lower than they should be, sometimes causing overheating/stability issues.

I recently built out a system with a 5700 XT for my nephew. Putting the power limit at max barely increased benchmark numbers but created a lot more heat and fan noise. My nephew is very concerned about his system getting too hot so he was happy with just leaving it at the default.
Jan 10, 2021
cpu temp and usage during the game?
make and model of the psu?
cpu temps 40-60c during games usage varies a lot but on most of my games I play on average 70%
GPU utilization anywhere from 10-70% on games mostly, temps 40-70c with power peaking around 130w
EVGA 600 BQ 80+ BRONZE Power Supply

Jan 10, 2021
That's not exactly a quality PSU. I would recommend getting a better one. I believe the BQ Bronze are built by HEC, for Evga.
alright, I'll look into a better PSU and see if the effects off it.

But to me, it didn't look like a PSU issue as on the initial game, lets say BF4 i can play for hours and no system crash. But if i decide to stop playing that game and take a break for 2 hours, then later play another game it will crash on the 2nd game

Try locking the PCI-E slot the 5700xt is in (I assume slot #1) to the PCI-E 3.0 setting in the BIOS. Since you're on a relatively cheap motherboard it may not be up to running on PCI-E 4 which is what it's probably trying to run if set to Auto in the BIOS. You won't notice any difference in gaming performance so it's worth a shot.

Also I would run a memory test for a couple of hours...as well as running a hard drive test using the manufacturers drive test software.

Jan 10, 2021
Try locking the PCI-E slot the 5700xt is in (I assume slot #1) to the PCI-E 3.0 setting in the BIOS. Since you're on a relatively cheap motherboard it may not be up to running on PCI-E 4 which is what it's probably trying to run if set to Auto in the BIOS. You won't notice any difference in gaming performance so it's worth a shot.

Also I would run a memory test for a couple of hours...as well as running a hard drive test using the manufacturers drive test software.
will try the PCI-E slot now wish me luck :)

Try leaving the 5700 XT's power limit at the default (50%, I believe) and see if the issue goes away. Unfortunately, The cooling requirements for the 5700 XT are a little lower than they should be, sometimes causing overheating/stability issues.

I recently built out a system with a 5700 XT for my nephew. Putting the power limit at max barely increased benchmark numbers but created a lot more heat and fan noise. My nephew is very concerned about his system getting too hot so he was happy with just leaving it at the default.

Solution
Jan 10, 2021

Only found two things in bios relating to pci-e that being 'power on by pci-e' and 'boot from pci-e expansion devices'
Which if any should I change

logainofhades

Titan

B450 doesn't have PCI-E 4.0, so it will be at 3.0 by default.

Reactions: dorsai