[SOLVED] I assume Mobo/PSU Issue? But I could you a second opinion.

Aug 30, 2021
I have an issue where I am getting crashes during the first 1 minute or two of a game loading. No matter the game, but I am using Destiny 2 as my testing game because it happens usually around the same part in the opening so it is easy to look to see if it is working. Usually the sound still runs in the background but my monitor will turn off because it is getting no signal and game would be still running Sometimes it would then crash when I would I have done the usual first steps, DDU, fresh windows install, bios updates rolling back NVIDIA drivers etc.

I have also tested the ram with memtest and others to see if it was bad. Also tried multiple configurations of it one stick or two. Also the event viewer wasn't very helpful, mostly stuff sticking out was the code for not properly powering down the system. nd on occasion it would throw the event id 161 volmgr, but not every time so I wasn't sure.

My next thought was the card was bad (EVGA 3080TI FTW 3) So I borrowed a known working 3080 TI Strix from a friend. At first the issue went away for a couple hours, but there would be random crashes starting just like with the first card. it would play a while crash then crash again on next boot, but then it would work for a while before crashing again. Also at times it would just turn off making me think it was PSU and Motherboard. But I don't want to have to buy a bunch of parts at the store to test them all to test for a solution. So any help narrowing this down to a possible culprit would really help.

• CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
  • GPU 3080TI FTW3/Strix
  • PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
  • RAM: Corsair 3600 Dominator Platinum
  • WD blue 1TB M.2

Solution
Monitor temperatures. SSD might be overheating next to such a powerful GPU. And keep an eye on the GPU as well, memory temperatures are a known issue with some 30 series cards.

PSU is a little undersized, if you are using any cables with multiple connectors on them, do you best to get one cable per connector going to the GPU. Or buy custom cables to get straight throughs. Power spikes could just be tripping the PSU, so getting a larger one may be the solution. Does your friend have a larger supply?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Monitor temperatures. SSD might be overheating next to such a powerful GPU. And keep an eye on the GPU as well, memory temperatures are a known issue with some 30 series cards.

PSU is a little undersized, if you are using any cables with multiple connectors on them, do you best to get one cable per connector going to the GPU. Or buy custom cables to get straight throughs. Power spikes could just be tripping the PSU, so getting a larger one may be the solution. Does your friend have a larger supply?

Solution
Aug 30, 2021

I do not have access to a larger PSU, I can get one from the store to test and return it if I had to, but it's been running fine since June when I got the card until last week, is that something that would come overtime or immediately in regards to being underpowered?

The temps seem good. I was monitoring them overall. But I'll start focusing on The Memory seems to be in line with what's expected. Any suggestions on any other hardware issues? Should I try a new board or chip?

Aug 30, 2021
I am suspicious of the PSU not being up to the task. Install HWInfo and monitor voltages before and during gaming, specifically looking for spikes or dips that are larger than tolerable
I went up to SFX 850 and it seems to have brought the EVGA back to life. I think the 750 went bad after so much load over the last two months.