i attached a picture for explaining my hdd capacity problem

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

My c-drive hdd capacity is very different depending on where i measure
it. click below link

http://bluesjeon.com/drive_c.JPG
http://bluesjeon.com/drive_c2.JPG


almost twice differnetial-one is 4gb and the other is 8gb


why did it happened?
and how could i solve this problem?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Note that on C2, the properties dialog is only for the Documents and
Settings folder, not the entire drive.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<bluesjeon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125827605.013142.54210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> My c-drive hdd capacity is very different depending on where i measure
> it. click below link
>
> http://bluesjeon.com/drive_c.JPG
> http://bluesjeon.com/drive_c2.JPG
>
>
> almost twice differnetial-one is 4gb and the other is 8gb
>
>
> why did it happened?
> and how could i solve this problem?
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

i checked "show hidden files and folders" and i selected the entire
drive.
the properties dialog is for the entire drive

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers 작성:

> Note that on C2, the properties dialog is only for the Documents and
> Settings folder, not the entire drive.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> <bluesjeon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1125827605.013142.54210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > My c-drive hdd capacity is very different depending on where i measure
> > it. click below link
> >
> > http://bluesjeon.com/drive_c.JPG
> > http://bluesjeon.com/drive_c2.JPG
> >
> >
> > almost twice differnetial-one is 4gb and the other is 8gb
> >
> >
> > why did it happened?
> > and how could i solve this problem?
> >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Wrote:
> Note that on C2, the properties dialog is only for the Documents and
> Settings folder, not the entire drive.
>
> It does make you think though?
> Why is it so hard for any Operating sys provider to make it easier for
> the public to understand and use the system?
> For you it maybe a mere routine, but out here there are millions who
> look at it in awe and ask " why is it so?" (Julius Sumner Miller)


--
lomaca
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Wrote:
> Note that on C2, the properties dialog is only for the Documents and
> Settings folder, not the entire drive.

lomaca wrote:
> It does make you think though?
> Why is it so hard for any Operating sys provider to make it easier
> for the public to understand and use the system?
> For you it maybe a mere routine, but out here there are millions who
> look at it in awe and ask " why is it so?" (Julius Sumner Miller)

Not really.

It's no more difficult to use a computer than to repair a car. But most
people cannot do the latter - because they choose not to understand the tool
they are using.

People who come here asking questions usually want to learn - which is good.
Modern operating systems are surprisingly easy to use and most people go
along their whole computer-using lifetimes without wondering "what's under
the hood" quite happily. Then there are those who start tweaking, start
letting that normal curiosity come out a little and ask "Why does this do
that?" That's the people that usually come here asking questions like
this.. Not people who "cannot use their operatring system" - but those who
wantr to know more about the intricacies that make it work instead of it
just being the spoon they use at dinner.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On 4 Sep 2005 08:03:32 -0700, bluesjeon@hotmail.com wrote:

> i checked "show hidden files and folders" and i selected the entire
> drive.
> the properties dialog is for the entire drive

That's one setting. Also need to uncheck "hide system files." Then select
the whole drive and get your total from properties.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Likely missing the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys files.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:ORFZRXYsFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> On 4 Sep 2005 08:03:32 -0700, bluesjeon@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> i checked "show hidden files and folders" and i selected the entire
>> drive.
>> the properties dialog is for the entire drive
>
> That's one setting. Also need to uncheck "hide system files." Then select
> the whole drive and get your total from properties.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

i should have turned off system recovery


yes thank u
i got it
the problem were derived from hibernate mode, page file, and system
recovery...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:40:32 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Likely missing the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys files.

Yep. :)

Fan finally came in from the motherboard manufacturer and is fixed.
Hallelujah! This was the northbridge fan - ran off and on and by the time
the replacement arrived it had failed completely. Never had to replace one
of these before so it was a first.

Supposedly running without this fan won't damage the system but the heat
buildup can cause some video tearing. On top of that, my motherboard emits
a horrible siren noise when any one of the four monitored fans stops. I
pulled the system speaker wire to avoid the noise factor but still wasn't
confident about running for extended periods of time. Anyhow... All better
now. :)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User