[SOLVED] I attempted an overclock on my laptop and now it won't show anything

May 7, 2022
My gateway ultra slim book bios had an overclock option so I set the bclk to 100 and the the ratio to 32 which is very high for the CPU in it I'm now realizing I haven't reset the CMOS yet but I would like a second opinion on maybe a solution if that doesn't work

Solution
There's no heatsink in a laptop. All you get is a smallish piece of metal and a little bit of copper tubing attached that's somewhat in the path of airflow from the tiny fan. It's why laptop cpus generally don't run more than 25w± because they have no real cooling solution.

The OC ability on that laptop is a gimmick. A sales ploy to make it sound good, but is absolutely the worst possible idea for a cpu that can't keep itself cool without throttling. You'll get better and more consistent performance by returning the laptop to stock configuration and then undervolting as much as can remain stable. Lower temps = less opportunity to throttle the cpu/gpu clocks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should look into removing the CMOS battery in order to clear the settings in BIOS and revert it to defaults. Also, can you parse the model to your slim laptop? Slim and laptop and overclocking shouldn't go in the same sentence, mind you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no heatsink in a laptop. All you get is a smallish piece of metal and a little bit of copper tubing attached that's somewhat in the path of airflow from the tiny fan. It's why laptop cpus generally don't run more than 25w± because they have no real cooling solution.

The OC ability on that laptop is a gimmick. A sales ploy to make it sound good, but is absolutely the worst possible idea for a cpu that can't keep itself cool without throttling. You'll get better and more consistent performance by returning the laptop to stock configuration and then undervolting as much as can remain stable. Lower temps = less opportunity to throttle the cpu/gpu clocks.

Solution