Question I believe my GPU may be failing

May 19, 2021
I've been getting crashes in several games due to my GPU "hanging". This all started on Saturday night. I had been playing games all day, and nothing changed on my system, so I don't feel it's a driver issue. But to rule out driver issues I've done clean installs of about 5 different drivers. Plus I just finished completely wiping my system, and installing Windows fresh. I also ran Unigine Valley for several minutes, and started to get flashing black screens and then a ton of stuttering (as the GPU warmed up). I don't have any dust in my system, I cleaned it out recently). Is there a way to test if it's my GPU (I really hope not) or the PSU?

Here are the two main errors I was encountering:
  1. unreal engine is exiting due to d3d device being lost error 0x887a0006 - 'hung'
  2. dxgi_error_device_hung
Here are my system specs:
CPU: i5 8600k
GPU: EVGA 980Ti Kingpin edition (if that matters)
PSU: EVGA NEX750 Gold Plus
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3200 (16GB)
MoBo: AsRock Z390 Extreme4
Case: NZXT

Let me know what info I should add. Thanks!

ETA: I've been able to run a full benchmark in F1 2018 with no issues, and everything set to Ultra. So now I'm completely lost on what the issue could be.

Last edited:
Here are the two main errors I was encountering:
  1. unreal engine is exiting due to d3d device being lost error 0x887a0006 - 'hung'
  2. dxgi_error_device_hung

Those seem to be game and/or application specific Errors. I wouldn't bring hardware into the picture as of now. Can you tell what all specific PC game titles are you playing ? I presume you must have already updated DirectX, VC++ and other necessary software as well.

Did the said games properly work before on this same system ?

May 19, 2021
Those seem to be game and/or application specific Errors. I wouldn't bring hardware into the picture as of now. Can you tell what all specific PC game titles are you playing ? I presume you must have already updated DirectX, VC++ and other necessary software as well.

Did the said games properly work before on this same system ?
I am getting the Unreal error when trying to run Assetto Corsa Competizione, and the other error when trying to run iRacing. I was also getting a memory access error when running Dirt Rally 2.0.

Yea, DirectX, and VC++ are up to day, same with everything else on the system. I am not running the latest Nvidia driver, as I was getting that same error in iRacing back in January, and was told rolling back to an older driver could clear it up (it did then, but not now).

May 19, 2021
Do you get issues with the Unigine Valley test every time?
What happens if you let it run for more than 'several minutes'?
I only tried running Unigine Valley once, and it was towards the end of the benchmark I started getting the black screens, and frames dropping to 9 FPS. I think I ran it for 20 minutes before I started getting problems. I've run Furmark for about 20 minutes with no issues, and another random stress test I found on Steam (Star Swarm Stress Test) without issue.

May 19, 2021
Now I'm really confused. I ran DDU once again, and installed the latest Nvidia drivers just for the hell of it, and now things seem to be running smoothly again?!? iRacing and ACC ran fine (though I only tested for a few minutes, I'll try testing later on today for a longer period). I need to test out Dirt Rally 2.0 too.