Question I believe the PSU is failing ? (SOLVED - IT WAS THE MOTHERBOARD)

Cygnus1

Prominent
May 17, 2021
About a week ago I started having random shutdowns. The event log shows Kernal Power 41 critical events. Yesterday it happened three times. Now when I turn on the PC it’ll run for about 30 seconds then shut off (not even enough time to boot). Before yesterday I’ve turned off fast boot, and reset the GPU and RAM. Temperatures were OK for the GPU and CPU and it’s a well ventilated case. I keep it dust free and it’s a nice system for the simple gaming. I do.

Im thinking the PSU is toast. I built the rig in 2018 however the PSU is from 2013. It was in a box on the shelf at home for five years (never used it). I’ve been running Windows 11 on it for a few months with no problems. I upgraded the GPU from a 1070ti in February. Does anyone have any other possibilities they can think of? System stats below.

Windows 11
Intel I-9700K Coffee Lake processor
Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 ROG Gaming LGA1151 motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070ti FTW3 8gb Ultra Gaming GPU
64gb GSkill Trident RGB SD RAM PC-4 28800 DDR4 ram (4x16gb sticks)
Corsair Professional 860 ATX/EPS Modular PSU
Crucial MX500 1tb SATA SSD drive (four)

Thank you.

Cygnus1

Prominent
May 17, 2021
"Retry without GPU and see if you get different reaction from system. "

I tried with the 1070ti and had the same issue (it took a little longer but still crashed. I tried the paperclip test with the AX860 and the fan popped on for a second then stopped but I know Corsairs sometimes do that.

"Is that Corsair AX or AXi model? It can still have warranty - worth checking. "

It's the Corsair AX Series AX860 80+ Platinum

"It could also be a problem with motherboard."

I'm hoping it's not the motherboard I have some health issues now and my hands shake a bit so putting together a new motherboard with connections would be much more difficult. :(

I did order a new Corsair HX1200 80+ Platinum from Amazon and will install it tomorrow when it arrives. We'll see if that makes a difference. I'm hopeful.

I tried with the 1070ti and had the same issue
Well, it's not what I had in mind. Running without GPU eliminates PCIe power cables form picture so it helps pinpoint if that's a PSU problem. Trying other GPU just tests if GPU is problem.
I did order a new Corsair HX1200 80+ Platinum from Amazon and will install it tomorrow when it arrives. We'll see if that makes a difference. I'm hopeful.
Hopefully it does.

Cygnus1

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Well, it's not what I had in mind. Running without GPU eliminates PCIe power cables form picture so it helps pinpoint if that's a PSU problem. Trying other GPU just tests if GPU is problem.

Hopefully it does.

I went back and tried it with just the onboard video and it won't even start up now. I think I see a burned capacitor on the motherboard too and with the new power supply the board is getting power (it's lighting up) like with the old one but the computer won't start at all. I tried the motherboard start button as well and nothing happen. Looks like it's time for a rebuild. :(

Cygnus1

Prominent
May 17, 2021
You didn't reuse power cables, did you? While most Platinum-rated AX cables are compatible with Platinum-rated HX cables, the 24-pin connector is not the same pinout.

No I replaced all the cables from the power supply to the rig with the new ones in the HX1200 bag. A lot of the old ones said "AX760/AX860 ONLY".