Question I believe there's a problem with my GPU, please help troubleshoot.

Feb 25, 2019
Hi all,

I built my first PC about a month ago, and I've only recently started to come across problems with my games crashing. At first, my games would freeze and the screen would go black. The music kept playing, but I had to manually shutoff computer to get it back on. Immediately as the screen would freeze, fans would go to max too. I checked CPU and GPU temperatures while gaming and no issue.

I did a GPU stress test called FurMark, and I never got the issue. I got rated a 10k+ score. I also tested ram and CPU with no issue. I used DDU to uninstall GPU drivers, followed by reinstalling to latest drivers. The freeze, fan max, and shutoff stopped, but now, most of my games will freeze and then crash, bringing me to the desktop. I've re-seated my components, vacuumed dust, scanned for malware, checked connections, checked for updates, and I'm at a loss.

I gathered my dxdiag, msinfo32, and net info to provide here. If that's appropriate to provide here and requested, I'll post them.

Thanks for any help you can give.
---------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ADATA - SU655 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
-------
Edit: 2-26-19
I believe the issue I was having was driver related. I scaled back to version 417.71, and the games haven't crashed yet. I'll try more today and report back.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019
I had troubles with the newer drivers , too rolled back , running fine since.
Yes. Using DDU to uninstall GPU drivers and installing version 417.71 has fixed all graphical/crashing issues I was having with games. I'm not sure when I should update drivers again, but I suppose I'll wait until next time. To reiterate, I have NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 for anyone with the same card and issues.

Reactions: Banned by Net