[SOLVED] I bludgeoned my SSD with terabytes of writes in a day, how doomed am I?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Evening,
I feel like I've messed up pretty badly. Tried to move my Windows OS installation into an SSD by cloning the OS, but it didn't go smoothly. So many problems prevented it from booting, UEFI stuff here, boot record there, MBR and GPT troubles here, Windows not found, and some others.

In the end, I finally got it working properly, but by the time I was finished I already re-cloned the drive so much, I believe I wrote anywhere between 5 to 5.3 terabytes of data into that SSD in a single day. Considering SSDs have limited amount of writes before they go bad AFAIK, how bad did I mess up the SSD with that process? What would be the expected lifespan of the drive now?

The SSD is a Samsung PM1725a, the 1.5 TB version.

Solution
Evening,
I feel like I've messed up pretty badly. Tried to move my Windows OS installation into an SSD by cloning the OS, but it didn't go smoothly. So many problems prevented it from booting, UEFI stuff here, boot record there, MBR and GPT troubles here, Windows not found, and some others.

In the end, I finally got it working properly, but by the time I was finished I already re-cloned the drive so much, I believe I wrote anywhere between 5 to 5.3 terabytes of data into that SSD in a single day. Considering SSDs have limited amount of writes before they go bad AFAIK, how bad did I mess up the SSD with that process? What would be the expected lifespan of the drive now?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Evening,

Download Samsung magician, it tells you the wear on your drive

I have serious doubts you made any sort of dent into its lifespan.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
I believe I wrote anywhere between 5 to 5.3 terabytes of data into that SSD in a single day. Considering SSDs have limited amount of writes before they go bad AFAIK, how bad did I mess up the SSD with that process? What would be the expected lifespan of the drive now?

You don't have much to worry about. It would still be within warranty specifications if you wrote 32 GB per day, every day, for the next 5 years.

The average user writes less than 20 TB per year.

I write less than 5.

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/brochure/Brochure_Samsung_PM1725a_NVMe_SSD_1805.pdf

"Even though the PM1725a employs a TLC V-NAND flash memory, it boasts 5 DWPD (drive writes per day) for 5 years. This rate translates to writing a total of 32 TB each day during that time,"

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Download Samsung magician, it tells you the wear on your drive

I have serious doubts you made any sort of dent into its lifespan.

Downloaded it, said the drive still has 99% life remaining. I think that's goodm.

You don't have much to worry about. It would still be within warranty specifications if you wrote 32 GB per day, every day, for the next 5 years.

The average user writes less than 20 TB per year.

I write less than 5.

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/brochure/Brochure_Samsung_PM1725a_NVMe_SSD_1805.pdf

"Even though the PM1725a employs a TLC V-NAND flash memory, it boasts 5 DWPD (drive writes per day) for 5 years. This rate translates to writing a total of 32 TB each day during that time,"

Woah, I do have a feeling that the SSD probably able to withstand that 5TB write, but I didn't expect the lifetime to be THAT high. It probably can outlast my HDD if it's true.

Anyway, thank you, you both put my mind at peace

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Woah, I do have a feeling that the SSD probably able to withstand that 5TB write, but I didn't expect the lifetime to be THAT high. It probably can outlast my HDD if it's true.

Anyway, thank you, you both put my mind at peace

No problem. For future reference, EARLY SSDs had such volatility issues, because the tech was new and so on. Its evolved eons since then, and now it would take a monumental effort to wear out an SSD. Unfortunately those early tests keep getting passed on as fact.