I botched a bios update (I think)

millon

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
It started with this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244920-28-onboard-sound-card-makes-unwanted-noises
Someone suggested that I update my bios, so I downloaded the drivers and just extracted them to my desktop. I thought I would need to put them on a floppy drive before they could update anything, and I wasn't ready to update yet. Then when I turn my computer on this morning my monitor is not receiving signals (standby light). I also swapped monitors with my other PC to rule out the monitor as being the problem. My keyboard and mouse lights are also staying dark, so I don't think they are being recognized either. I doubt that my GPU is the problem, because it's a non-overclocked evga 8800 gts that is less than a month old. I would like to test it too, but I don't have another pci card.
I also put in the driver disk, and restarted, but that didn't do anything. I don't know what to do now. The only other step that I can think of is to clear the CMOS, but I don't know if that will lead to more issues like having to my hdds in raid unrecognized and being required to reinstall my OS.

millon

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
My computer was working fine the last two weeks, do you think that the ram can suddently go bad?
edit: wow, I didn't expect that to work. I took out 2 of my 4 sticks, booted fine, then shut down, put them all back, booted fine again, and now I'm back to normal. Thanks. I was worried that I might have to get a new mb.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Actually, I have seen an instance where due to some sort of electrical problem, physically removing a chip then booting then just adding the chip back did solve the problem. Can't explain it, but if the op's rig passes Memtest I think he's got a clean bill of health.