[SOLVED] i bought a 10gbps pcie network card and i check setting and im still getting 1gbps

trueclan123

Honorable
Jun 18, 2015
i have a cat 6 ethernet cable and have a brand new pcie 10gbps card that i installed and i check my internet settings on my pc and its showing 1gbps do i need to get a cat8 or 7 for it to change to 10gbps like it supposed to be at

Solution
So what is the port speed of the device on the other end of your cable. If you plug it into a 1gbit port on your router the devices will negotiate it to 1gbit. Even if the router had a 10g port where is the data going to go. It is unlikely you internet is faster than 1gbit and unless you have another machine that can run 10gbit any file copies to that machine will also be limited to 1gbit. This assumes you have disk systems that can even exceed 1gbit.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your internet connection and router model? Mind you 10GbE transfers at a rate of 500MB/s, you'd need an SSD capable of that and router must also be 10GbE capable as well. Cat6 is fine for shorter runs of below 30m afaik. Cat6a is better for longer runs. Cat7/8 isn't needed.

So what is the port speed of the device on the other end of your cable. If you plug it into a 1gbit port on your router the devices will negotiate it to 1gbit. Even if the router had a 10g port where is the data going to go. It is unlikely you internet is faster than 1gbit and unless you have another machine that can run 10gbit any file copies to that machine will also be limited to 1gbit. This assumes you have disk systems that can even exceed 1gbit.

Solution