Question I bought a 3600MHz kit, was it a mistake?

Oct 18, 2019
Hi you all! I've been planning on buying a new PC for a while and finally I decided to start by buying the memory (I'm looking for sales on a component by component basis), so I bought a kit of Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB at 3600mhz (yes, it's a lot, but as I said it was on sale). The thing is I was looking to buy a Ryzen gen 2 CPU, probably a 2600 cause they're good and cheap, and I'm no longer sure if the CPU could handle such speeds, nor if the motherboard could (I was considering the B450 tomahawk or gaming plus) and, in that case, what would happen. What happens if the CPU or the motherboard don't support those speeds? Would the system become unstable? Do I have to downgrade the ram? And if that's the case, how?

And by the way, buying a new and expensive ryzen 3600 with a x570 mobo it's out of the question, I dont' have much money.

Thank you so much!

Oct 18, 2019
If all the other spces are compatible it could work, but it will only run as fast as the computer is capable of. So all the extra speed of the RAM sticks will be wasted.
What others specs? And if I plug a 3600 mhz ram stick to a motherboard that doesn't support it (or doesn't with that cpu I told earlier), will it run at a lower speed automatically without the need to fiddle with anything else?

You may not be able to run it at 3600MHz but you can always manually bring that speed down to something that works.
As for timings, look up a few guides on how to trim them, as you might be able to push them a lot lower than stock (more performance) if you need to downclock the memory.

If you have very little knowledge about how RAM timings work you need to buy RAM listed on the motherboard QVL. Also, it’s not a good idea to buy computer items one at a time. By the time you get all of your parts and put it together, if something doesn’t work you will have to RMA it through the manufacturer instead of returning it to where you bought it. Also new stuff is released all the time. You are better off saving the money until you can buy it all at once.

Oct 18, 2019
If you have very little knowledge about how RAM timings work you need to buy RAM listed on the motherboard QVL. Also, it’s not a good idea to buy computer items one at a time. By the time you get all of your parts and put it together, if something doesn’t work you will have to RMA it through the manufacturer instead of returning it to where you bought it. Also new stuff is released all the time. You are better off saving the money until you can buy it all at once.
Well, I also know it's not a good idea, the only reason I'm doing it like this it's because I'll have the money two weeks from now anyway, so instead of buying a PC then, I'm looking for sales during these two weeks in the case I can get someting better than I was going to get anyway.

And, as for the knowledge about ram, I've been looking for tutorials like Finstar suggested and I've come across something called "DRAM calculator" that seems to be pretty straightforward and it seems I can benchmark the system later with memtest86, so I'm confident I will be fine. And if that's not the case I'll return it to Amazon within the 30 days they offer :sweatsmile: