Question I bought a better cpu and it has a negative effect on my games fps

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I had intel i5-4460 with 4 cores and 3.2 Ghz, now I bought i5-8400 with 6 cores 2.8 Ghz and made it run on 3.3 because it was overheating with anything over that. I also bought a new Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s motherboard and 16 GB ram (prevoiusly I had 8 gb ram). So I make my processor run on 3.3 ghz and temperature on every core is aroun 75-80 while I am playing Warzone. Before I had 50-60 fps and now I get 40-50 fps and game is extremely laggy. Also when I am in buildings in a shadow my fps goes up to 120, but when Im outside running on the field with a lot of shadows it drops to 40 fps. I lowered my settings all the way down and managed to get 50 fps. That is still horibble considering I got better fps on my last pc build. I didnt mess with voltages because I am a begginer in overclocking. Any tips on how to fix this or make it better?

I think it's only issue with Warzone, I notice any performance decrease in other games, even tho it's most noticable in Warzone.
Have you tried any other games? I didn't see anything about other games in this thread. If it's happening with other games, then it's probably your computer or installation of Windows. If not, don't ruin your installation of Windows by reformating and reinstalling. You have already found out other people ahve the same problem and there are no real fixes. I saw something about playing in Windowed or Windowed full screen modes to get at least a playable fps until the developers fix the problem.

Apr 3, 2020
Probably not gonna be a fix, but haven't seen it yet so why not... check windows settings under system, power settings, and make sure it is set to full performance and not balanced or power save. (doubtful it changed from whatever you set it to before, but who knows). And on the off chance the game detects and adjusts things during download, if you have free time you might uninstall the game and re-do from scratch to see if it changes things. Probably won't, but might. Can't hurt to try.