[SOLVED] I bought a monitor ASUS VG248QE but i can't find a cable for it..

Mar 30, 2021
So, i bought a monitor (the Asus VG248QE) and at the moment i'm using a HDMI to connect to my laptop but i can't get the 144hz that the monitor can do.

The monitor came with a DVI-D cable but i can't use that because my laptop does not have that type of port. (My laptop btw is the Omen by HP - 15ce025np)

I found another alternative, it's a DisplayPort - Mini DisplayPort (since my laptop as the mini DP) but most of the cables i search for, here in Portugal, have a "max of 120hz" and i don't want that, i want one that can handle the 144hz since the monitor can go up to that type of refresh rate.

Does someone know any cables that i can send from amazon, ebay, aliexpress or even here in Portugal, or have another solution to my problem ?
i would appreciate the help :D

Reactions: DSzymborski
Solution
I found another alternative, it's a DisplayPort - Mini DisplayPort (since my laptop as the mini DP) but most of the cables i search for, here in Portugal, have a "max of 120hz" and i don't want that, i want one that can handle the 144hz since the monitor can go up to that type of refresh rate.
Does someone know any cables that i can send from amazon, ebay, aliexpress or even here in Portugal, or have another solution to my problem ?
Your laptop has DP 1.2 output, monitor has DP 1.2 input.
So - you can use DP cables with version numbers 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0. They will give you full performance (to what your laptop is capable).
Mar 30, 2021
Hp doesnt say what version you HDMI port is but you need a 1.3 or higher cable to get 144Hz @ 1920x1080.
Thank you for the fast reply @faalin
But i checked the manual from the monitor / Supported operating modes, and the max refresh rate that a HDMI cable handles is 60Hz..
The only cables and resolution that says 144hz is DVI / DP on 1920x1080 (2D)..

So - you can use DP cables with version numbers 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0. They will give you full performance (to what your laptop is capable).

Solution
Mar 30, 2021
Thanks @SkyNetRising for the reply !
1)But imagine i use this cable https://www.castroelectronica.pt/pr...ayport-macho--displayport-macho-3-mts--aisens
It says that has Maximum refresh rate: 120 Hz i will not be able to get the 144hz right ?

2)And if i use this one ? https://www.castroelectronica.pt/pr...cho--displayport-macho-preto-18-mts--startech
since it doens't say anything about the max refresh rate i don't know if it can handles the 144hz ..

Thanks @SkyNetRising for the reply !
Look at Display Port version for the cable. Sellers don't always know, what they're writing.
Display Port 1.2 supports 1080p up to 240Hz.

DP cable supporting 1080p up to 120Hz would be DP 1.0 or 1.1 version.

DP14support.JPG

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59677

Reactions: odbmeister
Mar 30, 2021
Look at Display Port version for the cable. Sellers don't always know, what they're writing.
Display Port 1.2 supports 1080p up to 240Hz.

DP cable supporting 1080p up to 120Hz would be DP 1.0 or 1.1 version.

DP14support.JPG

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59677
what a legend answer :D
I think im gonna get a DP - Mini DP, because i've already spend alot of money in the monitor and if a DP 1.2 works, i think there will be no problem working 144hz

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you for the fast reply @faalin
But i checked the manual from the monitor / Supported operating modes, and the max refresh rate that a HDMI cable handles is 60Hz..
The only cables and resolution that says 144hz is DVI / DP on 1920x1080 (2D)..

Yup, glad you have another option. This is a well-known popular monitor that doesn't support over 60 Hz on HDMI, infamous enough that it's even on our non-compatibility list in the sticked thread Monitors forum!

Reactions: odbmeister
Mar 30, 2021
Yup, glad you have another option. This is a well-known popular monitor that doesn't support over 60 Hz on HDMI, infamous enough that it's even on our non-compatibility list in the sticked thread Monitors forum!
Thank you ! In the beginning i was almost going back to the store to give the monitor back, but the monitor looks so amazing that i needed to find a way ahah :)

I was like wtf is happening, why does the monitor support over 60hz ??? i was asking different people with laptops and monitors USING HDMI, and all of them was saying "im using a HDMI and it works at 144hz"...
They had a different monitor, that's why ahah