Question I bought a new CPU and Motherboard so do I have to update bios

Aug 25, 2019
I bought a i7 8700k and ASRock B360 motherboard to upgrade my PC, so would I have to update bios or anything? Already have the RAM and GPU so can I just put it together and play or do I have to update anything? Not to versed on the subject

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
You should not have to update the bios on the B360 mobo, as it is supposed to support 8th gen chips.

You should have, however gotten a better board, as the B360 doesn't support overclocking (the 'K' in your CPU means it can overclock) and is basically the bare minimum choice for intel boards.

Aug 25, 2019
Yeah i'll upgrade the mobo again later. Only reason I did is because my old board didn't support 8th gen processors. I'm slowly upgrading without cleaning my bank. I was gonna get the z370 but it was double the price of the ASRock mobo. What mobo would you recommend when I do upgrade again?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Buying a new Z370/390 motherboard just to be able to overclock 8700k won't be 'worth it's features in gold'.
I mean, it won't be worth the $100 - $200 you may end up spending on the motherboard - even more, if you current cooler isn't able to keep up with that extra heat from overclocking.
It'd be a different story if you'd have gotten the Z mobo from the get go.

Roll with what you have until you're no longer satisfied by the cpu's performance, and replace the entire combo(cpu/mobo/ram).