[SOLVED] I bought a new cpu for my prebuilt pc

zachlaird1

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
i bought a new cpu for my prebuilt pc but when i turn it on i get no display and i get 2 short beeps from the motherboard, ive tried re-seating the everything i could think of and i even tried moving the ram to all the other slots but the only difference i get is i dont hear the beeping when the ram is in a different slot, but i still get no display even when testing it with different gpu's. i didnt change anything other than the cpu and im not sure what the problem is. ive even tried reseting the cmos, idk if its possible but is my gpu too weak for my cpu or something?

The Prebuilt: https://www.newegg.com/hp-omen-880-059/p/N82E16883286428

The cpu: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processo...1&keywords=ryzen+5+1600&qid=1587173189&sr=8-1

Solution
Did you update the BIOS before you installed the 1600AF?

The 1600AF is essentially a Ryzen 2600 so your BIOS will need to support Zen+ (Ryzen2000) architecture. You will have to have the 1400 CPU installed in order to update the BIOS. I have no idea how to update a BIOS on a HP machine or where to grab the BIOS updates from so you will have to look around or wait for someone else to comment.

The 1600AF is essentially a Ryzen 2600 so your BIOS will need to support Zen+ (Ryzen2000) architecture. You will have to have the 1400 CPU installed in order to update the BIOS. I have no idea how to update a BIOS on a HP machine or where to grab the BIOS updates from so you will have to look around or wait for someone else to comment.

Solution

zachlaird1

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

i havent tried that yet but my friend has the same prebuilt and they upgraded to the same cpu that i got but they didnt have to update anything

i havent tried that yet but my friend has the same prebuilt and they upgraded to the same cpu that i got but they didnt have to update anything

Are you sure? Did he get the 1600 or the 1600AF. Check the part number
1600AF YD1600BBAFBOX

Normal 1600 YD1600BBAEBOX

The 1600AF is not technically a first gen Ryzen and the motherboard will have to have a compatible BIOS. If possible compare which BIOS version you are running, I Believe you tap F10 on HPs to access the BIOS.

zachlaird1

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Are you sure? Did he get the 1600 or the 1600AF. Check the part number
1600AF YD1600BBAFBOX

Normal 1600 YD1600BBAEBOX

The 1600AF is not technically a first gen Ryzen and the motherboard will have to have a compatible BIOS. If possible compare which BIOS version you are running, I Believe you tap F10 on HPs to access the BIOS.
they couldve gotten the normal version, i was unaware there was a normal version, im not able to check the bios at the moment but i will get back to you when i do check it.

they couldve gotten the normal version, i was unaware there was a normal version, im not able to check the bios at the moment but i will get back to you when i do check it.

Yup the Ryzen 1600 with part number YD1600BBAEBOX is what came out in 2017.

The Ryzen 1600 AF YD1600BBAFBOX is what they are calling the refresh, which is stupid since its essentially a Ryzen 2600 and it was released quietly towards the end of last year.