I bought a new graphics card and it wouldn't boot. I tried several things already.

Sep 11, 2018
So i recently decided to upgrade my current GPU (MSI geforce gt 640 3gb) to a modern GPU,
MSI GTX 1050 Gaming x 2gb, but after i put it in my computer all i received was a "no signal" on the HDMI port. The HDMI cable being my only option without a considerable journey downtown or wait time, i decided to check the HDMI cable to see if it was faulty, so i plugged in my old graphics card which luckily has an HDMI port, and found out that the problem was not with the cable, so i looked at my BIOS and they indeed needed an update, so i update my BIOS with the latest firmware available (AMI 8.20 2015) and try the graphics card again, and again "no signal".
I then looked at my PSU.. and it was poor, as stock HP PSU's are, it's max output is 300w, but it's really more like 240-250w, so i've ordered a new PSU (EVGA 500b) which i hope will fix the problem as i think my PSU simply doesn't supply enough power to boot the GPU, aswell as the CPU and RAM, especially because the MSI gtx 1050 gaming x has a 6-pin power connector (which might just be for overclocking, i'm not sure) and my current PSU, as far as i can tell, has none available.

So my question is; would the card work even with the PSU upgrade?

My specs are:

HP pre-built "gaming" pc bought 5 years ago (the GPU is exchangeable though)

MOBO: Foxconn produced and H61 chipset, model name unknown
CPU: i5-3350p @ 3.1GHz
RAM: 8gb DDR3 (2x4gb)
PSU: soon to be EVGA 500b
BIOS: AMI 8.20 (2015)

I'm also fairly sure the PCi express (x16) 2.0 slot isn't limited on watts, as they might be on a stock HP mobo, but if it is i'm thinking the 6-pin power cable directly from the PSU might fix it?

If more info is needed feel free to ask.

EDIT: my MOBO also has no integrated graphics, as far as i can tell, it's only my gt 640 that shows up in the device manager and there are no monitor ports on the MOBO.

Solution
If your 1050TI requires a 6pin connector, and your current PSU does not have one; that's most likely the problem right there.

While the 500B isn't a great PSU itself, it should be more than sufficient for this system with the 1050TI.

Make sure the Foxconn board doesn't use proprietary connectors though. What model HP do you have?
If it does have proprietary connectors, the 500B won't just "fit" without adapters.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If your 1050TI requires a 6pin connector, and your current PSU does not have one; that's most likely the problem right there.

While the 500B isn't a great PSU itself, it should be more than sufficient for this system with the 1050TI.

Make sure the Foxconn board doesn't use proprietary connectors though. What model HP do you have?
If it does have proprietary connectors, the 500B won't just "fit" without adapters.

Solution
Sep 11, 2018

It says it's an HP Pavilion p6-2464eo, but i bought it with upgraded hardware compared to the factory hardware listed on HP's website (which would make sense since it was sold to me as a gaming PC, the upgraded hardware or what i know of being the CPU, RAM and GPU).

It looks to be using standard molex connectors

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That helps identify the motherboard.

s-l1600.jpg

Standard 24pin + 4pin. Should be fine to just upgrade the PSU.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Molex connectors are not the same as the PCIe 6-pin or 8-pin connectors.

If it doesn't have those, then you have two options:

1- Replace power supply that provides such a connection (only if it's a tower case with a standard sized PSU. The compact desktop versions would almost definitely be a no-go, as is a situation where the motherboard uses non-standard power connectors as mentioned by Barty)

2 - exchange the video card for a GTX 1050 that does not require a 6-pin connector.

Sep 11, 2018
Looking closer at my motherboard, i can see that it does have a 24 pin + 4 pin connector (which powers the CPU) so i'm fine, because the PSU i ordered supply a PCIe 6+2pin power connector, i also measured the case and the dimensions of the new PSU should fit since it's the exact same size as my old PSU actually, now that i remeasured everything.

Sounds promising with the PSU upgrade atleast, thanks alot for the quick answers, i can now sleep more easily.