Question I bought a new motherboard and have an outdated bios for my cpu

Mar 22, 2019
As the title reads, I bought a new motherboard and have an outdated bios for my cpu, Asus H87i-plus and I7 4790k. When I turn my computer on there is no connection between my monitor and pc. I have tried everything to resolve the issue but, learned my bios is out of date. How do I update it? I have called ASUS support and they told me to update my bios. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Basically you can do 2 things: Find the cheapest possible cpu for that chipset that you know will work and then go update the bios, or download the bios update to a usb and flash the bios update. How to do that, I don't know but you can look up tutorials im sure.

DavidM012

Distinguished
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87IPLUS/HelpDesk_Manual/

The manual says you can load the bios using crashfree bios 3 it loads the bios automatically.

You put the bios file on the usb disk and rename it to H87IP.cap the system automatically checks the devices for bios file

That means it will pick up the bios but you might not have any indication of what's happening until the bios is updated so plug it in, switch on, wait 10 minutes for any signs of board reset when flash process completed.

The system requires you to enter bios to recover settings so at some point it should reset and boot up. Vague instructions there. Otherwise say to asus 'there's no way to load the bios without cpu!'.

Your cpu should be in the socket. *with heatsink attached eg. installed.

bignastyid

Titan
Crashfree bios 3 only works if the system can post and detects a bios issue, an incompatible cpu will cause no post. Only USB bios flashback allows flashing the bios with no cpu or an incompatible cpu that requires a newer bios. The ops board does not support usb bios flashback.

DavidM012

Distinguished
This reddit says you might have to flash the bios twice before it notices the 4790k.

Looks a bit iffy. Send it back to shop 'cause if it still doesn't work after bios update the vendor could say you bricked it.

Try a different board and search reviews/forums for any known issues before purchase. BIOS version is evidently something to look for on the sales page.

goku15

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Your motherboard does support I7 4790k , but only from BIOS version 1005 onward. Crashfree bios 3 and BIOS Flashback are two different things. Your MB unfortunately doesn't support BIOS Flashback. That feature usually comes only in premium MB, hieghest tier class. You could do what popatim sugested or if you have a friend that could borrow you a cpu that your current Bios version supports. Not much else you could do.
Good luck

Also a note from Asus site:
*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool.