Question I bought a new motherboard and it's a bit bent. Do you think I should return it?

Jan 16, 2023
When you hold it in your hands it feels like it is bent in the middle where the socket is.
nlSfmUo.jpg
D4cwjcq.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
You're fine! Motherboard PCB's tend to have a slight warp at the middle when you don't have a thick PCB layer. Just to corroborate that point, what is the model for your ASRock branded motherboard? PCB's are also flexible, meaning when you install the motherboard in your chassis or you add weight to the board with the cooler and discrete GPU when you breadboard, you'll see the board is flattened a little bit more.

As for returning it, if the board doesn't POST with the bare minimum(while breadboarded) then yes you return it.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
A little bit of board warp is inevitable. A result of the soldering process where the whole board is heated up quite considerably in reflow ovens. As it cools metallic parts shrink at a higher rate than plastics which brings in a little warp-age. That's pretty minor and hard to even see in the photos without a straight edge to compare to. It should lay nicely flat once attached to all the standoffs in the case.

Reactions: Lutfij
Jan 16, 2023
You're fine! Motherboard PCB's tend to have a slight warp at the middle when you don't have a thick PCB layer. Just to corroborate that point, what is the model for your ASRock branded motherboard? PCB's are also flexible, meaning when you install the motherboard in your chassis or you add weight to the board with the cooler and discrete GPU when you breadboard, you'll see the board is flattened a little bit more.

As for returning it, if the board doesn't POST with the bare minimum(while breadboarded) then yes you return it.
This is the B450 Pro4 second revision. I took a pics from a different angle. It still bothers me tbh.
VfLtLZ6.jpg
2n5yAwe.jpg
vmYhIiH.jpg
tCwUJeh.jpg

Jan 16, 2023
Not to worry.
When mounted in a case, the motherboard screws will eliminate any bend.
It looks very slight to me and I would not return it unless it proves defective.
I'm worried that it might cause micro-cracks in the future, as the board looks quite thin.

I'm worried that it might cause micro-cracks in the future, as the board looks quite thin.
The copper traces are very flexible; I would have no problem installing it and using it. But if it's a concern you find intolerable then go back to your retailer and try to return it; hopefully you used one with a good return policy. I tend to doubt the mfr. would RMA the board unless and until it doesn't operate (what is Asrock's warranty period for the board?). As @Lutfij said: install it to see if it doesn't work first before going down that path.

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Just an FYI, if you don't have an APU, you won't get display output off that board...also, please make sure you've got the right BIOS version for your processor/APU. We have a lot of people who blame something else for a simple issue. The wrong BIOS (+Ryzen processor with no discrete GPU) will give you a black screen mind you.

If you don't like that board, you don't need a curved PCB to be leverage to change the board with your seller. Go to your seller and tell them to replace the board with some other brand, if that's what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler